The old church ladies strike again: Spanish fresco ruined
What's the big deal?

Just repaint it properly.  It is only a painting.  Nothing magical about it.

Get some decent art student with good eyesight and paint over it.  The old painting was new once.  The new painting will be old in 200 years.
(08-24-2012, 05:59 PM)ggreg Wrote: What's the big deal?

Just repaint it properly.  It is only a painting.  Nothing magical about it.

Get some decent art student with good eyesight and paint over it.  The old painting was new once.  The new painting will be old in 200 years.

Yes, I think a little perspective is in order here.  Several posters in the parallel thread on this topic suggested "demonic influence."  (?)  That seems more than a little extreme, to my mind.

The (original) artist, while renowned, is no Rembrandt, and the painting, while beloved locally, isn't exactly one of the masterpieces of the Western canon.  She didn't exactly break into the Louvre and start throwing red paint on everything.  As for her reaction, I'd be defensive, too, if every major news outlet in the Western hemisphere had made a mockery of what had been a well-intentioned, albeit regrettable, mistake on my part (NPR, the NYT, and the NBC Nightly News all featured this story, which is a bit surprising given its entirely provincial nature--but, hey, they get to feature some hapless Catholic buffoon destroying a "priceless" fresco, right?).  The painting was already in dire condition, anyway, so this woman did little more than expedite a planned restoration.  At least she's giving the Spanish economy a small boost.  :P
(08-24-2012, 05:15 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: Here's her ANGRY response! hahahahahah

Huh.  They hired George Costanza's mother to do the voice over translation for the woman. 
Old people get loopy with age at times, like sundowners. I remember taking care of an elderly patient working in the hospital and she kept trying to kick me out of her house and would ask me who gave permission to remodel her house. I wonder if that old lady looped out for awhile, or if it was just tempting to paint over Jesus' face... Why were they letting that old lady paint in the first place?
It looks nothing like Ecce Homo now! I bet they can restore it, there are so many talented art students. I hope they restore it soon.
Good point the one that allowed her was as loopy as she was.

tim