The best "traditional" presses?
Aside from the obvious presses such as Angelus and Baronius, who would you claim as the most solid Catholic book press? One that you would feel totally comfortable in referring someone interested in the faith to for books about Catholicism?

I've aways felt TAN was rock solid. Ignatius has some good titles, but they seem a little too in league with the neo-cons. Thoughts?
Old school TAN was the best. So was Benzinger Bros. before the Council.

Loreto Publications seems pretty rock solid to me. Haven't seen anything flakey there.

What ever happened to Benziger Brothers, are they still around in any capacity?

And if they are, is it just a name owned by another house? Are they still printers to the Holy Apostolic See?
I think they still exist, under a different name. I don't think there are official printers anymore.
Roman Catholic Books puts out some good reprints of solid, VII books.  They often have sales, slashing the prices by 20-60% at times.  Also, "Catholic Research Institute" has some nice materials/pamphlets.  Just two off the top of the head.

Joe
St Bonaventure Publications is a favourite.
Crusader Philly, did something change with TAN? Are they different now?
(08-22-2012, 07:42 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: Crusader Philly, did something change with TAN? Are they different now?
Forgive me for responding, for I am not Crusader, but I think there is a different tone in what they publish nowadays versus 30-40 years ago. It used to be books more like Fr. Wathen's The Great Sacrilege, or Memoirs of an Anti-Apostle, and now they have Patrick Madrid and the NAB on their website.
The Remnant Press is reliable, to be safe its best to order from solid orthodox religious orders they usually only carry solid books. Catholic family New's reprints are well worth it too.
(08-22-2012, 06:49 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: Aside from the obvious presses such as Angelus and Baronius, who would you claim as the most solid Catholic book press? One that you would feel totally comfortable in referring someone interested in the faith to for books about Catholicism?

I've aways felt TAN was rock solid. Ignatius has some good titles, but they seem a little too in league with the neo-cons. Thoughts?

FSSP Publications. The FSSP bookstore has great books from various sources including their own.

http://www.fraternitypublications.com/