The best "traditional" presses?
(08-22-2012, 07:42 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: Crusader Philly, did something change with TAN? Are they different now?

They got bought up by a bunch of neoCatholics, St. Benedict's Press.

Tis a shame.  All of their good books are no longer published.
(08-22-2012, 10:14 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote:
(08-22-2012, 07:42 PM)St. Pius of Trent Wrote: Crusader Philly, did something change with TAN? Are they different now?

But now it seems the books last longer that two weeks before the bindings fall apart! If Tom Nelson had only listened...
(08-22-2012, 10:20 PM)OldMan Wrote:

But now it seems the books last longer that two weeks before the bindings fall apart! If Tom Nelson had only listened...

Indeed.  Their bindings were less than ideal at one time.

And I wouldn't say Tan doesn't publish any good books anymore.  They still publish quite a few good books.
(08-22-2012, 08:39 PM)MRose Wrote:
Forgive me for responding, for I am not Crusader, but I think there is a different tone in what they publish nowadays versus 30-40 years ago. It used to be books more like Fr. Wathen's The Great Sacrilege, or Memoirs of an Anti-Apostle, and now they have Patrick Madrid and the NAB on their website.
On the other hand, the guy who used to run TAN used to run up big suppliers bills, refuse to pay, then declare bankruptcy. He used the same routine several times, every few years. Not the behavior of a Catholic businessman, trad or not.
(08-22-2012, 10:27 PM)Anastasia Wrote:
Forgive me for responding, for I am not Crusader, but I think there is a different tone in what they publish nowadays versus 30-40 years ago. It used to be books more like Fr. Wathen's The Great Sacrilege, or Memoirs of an Anti-Apostle, and now they have Patrick Madrid and the NAB on their website.
On the other hand, the guy who used to run TAN used to run up big suppliers bills, refuse to pay, then declare bankruptcy. He used the same routine several times, every few years. Not the behavior of a Catholic businessman, trad or not.

Be careful, calumny and rash judgement are sins. We can discuss the quality of bookbindings without robbing a man of his good name. He did print many, many, good books. They just happened to fall apart!
(08-22-2012, 10:37 PM)OldMan Wrote:

Be careful, calumny and rash judgement are sins. We can discuss the quality of bookbindings without robbing a man of his good name. He did print many, many, good books. They just happened to fall apart!
It's not calumny, my father was one of the people he took goods from and never paid.
I always thought it was an odd coincidence that his name was Thomas Nelson, the same as a well known prottie publishing house. 
(08-22-2012, 10:20 PM)OldMan Wrote:

It appears he had too make  a decision to raise the prices with better binding and limit evangelizing or too keep the prices at bargain basement and evangelize the English world.
He chose the latter.  I know that he would donate hundreds of Tan books for free to liberal or neo con Seminaries and seminarians and perhaps missions.  I for one miss those Tan books even if they literally disintegrate in your hands after some years.
What about Sophia Institute Press? I don't know much about them...
Or Neumann Press?
(08-22-2012, 10:40 PM)Anastasia Wrote:
(08-22-2012, 10:37 PM)OldMan Wrote:

It's not calumny, my father was one of the people he took goods from and never paid.

Well since you claim first hand knowledge of something that would then lead me to think of the sin of detraction which is the unjust damage of another's good name by revealing some fault or crime the other is really guilty or seriously believed to be guilty. I am not accusing you of anything. I just think it is unnecessary to discuss TAN's business dealings especially since they are in the past. In my mind it's similar to speaking ill of the dead. Let's move on. Pax!