Serving Mass as an altar boy in the 1970's..
Father, sorry to derail my own subject, but how did you learn to offer the TLM?
And where do you offer it Father?
The Rosary Society used to arrange a Thanksgiving setup in front of the Altar in November. [a cornucopeia of pumpkins corn and other vegetables]

It was placed dangerously between the altar and the communion rail.

One Mass I was using the paten with the priest at the Communion and I backed right into the arrangement and fell headfirst into the altar.
I saw stars and must have passed out because the next thing I knew Father was bending over me giving me some blessing.
How embarrassing for a 10 year old.
(08-23-2012, 12:07 PM)Old Salt Wrote: Father, sorry to derail my own subject, but how did you learn to offer the TLM?

Not to derail your topic: I learned it on my own, with a lot of study, a very competent acolyth, and the FSSP video instructions, and the help of collegues and friends.
I offer it in my own parish church, all thursday evenings now. and we are working to do it also on sundays.
(08-23-2012, 12:21 PM)kingofspades Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 12:07 PM)Old Salt Wrote: Father, sorry to derail my own subject, but how did you learn to offer the TLM?

Not to derail your topic: I learned it on my own, with a lot of study, a very competent acolyth, and the FSSP video instructions, and the help of collegues and friends.
I offer it in my own parish church, all thursday evenings now. and we are working to do it also on sundays.
Deo Gratias Father!
(08-23-2012, 11:09 AM)Old Salt Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 11:04 AM)fatiam13 Wrote: I served at Mass from 1963 to about 1970 my junior year in high school. I served at my oldest sisters wedding in 1966. It wasn't until recently that I looked at her wedding album. There were several pictures taken with one of the entire wedding party at the front of the sanctuary. There was my sister and her husband, my sister the brides maid, my other sister (now deceased) and my brother an usher.The altar was still in place and the cranmer table was now in use but the communion rail was in use since CITH hadn't been foisted upon the laity yet. I think the Mass was still in Latin at this point but I'm not quite sure.
fatiam13

So you obviously had to learn to make the responses in Latin.
How long before you could do it from memory? (where off the card)
Thank you.

Was this question intended to be in the context of that time frame, or just in general about learning the Latin responses?  If it's the latter, I can comment on my own experience.

I learnt how to serve as part of a weekly altar serving class at my ICRSS Oratory.  On the first night, Father handed us a printed copy of all of the Latin, and told us to have it memorised by the following week's meeting!  My dad and I spent hours over the next week practising, and by the next meeting I had it memorised . . . only to find out that Father was merely joking!  :LOL:  But, to answer your question: a week.
This is very interesting.  Last night I was watching the exorcist with my father and I was making comments about the mass scene and the way the table was set up in front of the high altar.  I think the Paul VI mass had already been implemented but it is still interesting.  I've noticed in a film called don't deliever us from evil (don't watch it) there were altar boys (and girls) facing the priest very close in front of the NO table but the mass was still in Latin and communion was disturbted on the tongue this was a french film from the late '60s early '70s(?)
(08-23-2012, 02:11 PM)Josué Wrote: This is very interesting.  Last night I was watching the exorcist with my father and I was making comments about the mass scene and the way the table was set up in front of the high altar.  I think the Paul VI mass had already been implemented but it is still interesting.  I've noticed in a film called don't deliever us from evil (don't watch it) there were altar boys (and girls) facing the priest very close in front of the NO table but the mass was still in Latin and communion was disturbted on the tongue this was a french film from the late '60s early '70s(?)

I always find the Mass scene in The Exorcist to be interesting.  Clearly it's 'NO' with the table and English canon, but Father Karras is facing liturgical east and he says 'the mystery of faith' during the consecration rather than leaving it for the memorial acclamation.  Does anyone know if that came in a later revision of the NO?
(08-23-2012, 12:21 PM)kingofspades Wrote:

A very holy and well meaning task, Father. God bless you.

Thank you for the story you shared.
It must have been the early 80s.  I had been serving the NO for awhile without inflicting any great disasters on anyone's spiritual life and not gaining much edification for my own.  So I show up one Sunday morning and who do you think is waiting to serve Mass with me? A girl from my class who I had a terrible crush on.  Our priest, a rather liberal type, had decided it was time to have girl altar boys.  I was a kid.  I knew nothing about what was going on in the Church.  I just thought she was pretty.  The few times I served with her were the only times I can truthfully say I enjoyed serving Mass.  Meh.  I gave up altar serving eventually when I realized that wearing a dress wasn't really the best way to pick up chicks, especially if they're wearing the same dress. 
(08-23-2012, 07:25 PM)Jacob Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 02:11 PM)Josué Wrote: This is very interesting.  Last night I was watching the exorcist with my father and I was making comments about the mass scene and the way the table was set up in front of the high altar.  I think the Paul VI mass had already been implemented but it is still interesting.  I've noticed in a film called don't deliever us from evil (don't watch it) there were altar boys (and girls) facing the priest very close in front of the NO table but the mass was still in Latin and communion was disturbted on the tongue this was a french film from the late '60s early '70s(?)

I always find the Mass scene in The Exorcist to be interesting.  Clearly it's 'NO' with the table and English canon, but Father Karras is facing liturgical east and he says 'the mystery of faith' during the consecration rather than leaving it for the memorial acclamation.  Does anyone know if that came in a later revision of the NO?

It looked like a private mass to me.