Serving Mass as an altar boy in the 1970's..
(08-23-2012, 11:33 PM)DrBombay Wrote: It must have been the early 80s.  I had been serving the NO for awhile without inflicting any great disasters on anyone's spiritual life and not gaining much edification for my own.  So I show up one Sunday morning and who do you think is waiting to serve Mass with me? A girl from my class who I had a terrible crush on.  Our priest, a rather liberal type, had decided it was time to have girl altar boys.  I was a kid.  I knew nothing about what was going on in the Church.  I just thought she was pretty.  The few times I served with her were the only times I can truthfully say I enjoyed serving Mass.  Meh.  I gave up altar serving eventually when I realized that wearing a dress wasn't really the best way to pick up chicks, especially if they're wearing the same dress. 

In deed good Doctor makes for "fashion drama"  worthy of reality tee vee.

You flashed me back to eighth grade where I used to once in a while sneak to little greasy spoon for lunch. Sister Petronella would've had me excommunicated if she knew. (hyperbole) Well a certain little girl also in eighth grade was also being bad and showed up for a little lunch there. I played all the biggies on the juke box and we shared a large order of french fries with about a pound of ketchup, with two cokes. I floated back the two blocks to the school. This is in the days of Please Mr. Postman and Soldier Boy, and My Guy.

tim
(08-24-2012, 12:09 PM)Tim Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 11:33 PM)DrBombay Wrote: It must have been the early 80s.  I had been serving the NO for awhile without inflicting any great disasters on anyone's spiritual life and not gaining much edification for my own.  So I show up one Sunday morning and who do you think is waiting to serve Mass with me? A girl from my class who I had a terrible crush on.  Our priest, a rather liberal type, had decided it was time to have girl altar boys.  I was a kid.  I knew nothing about what was going on in the Church.  I just thought she was pretty.  The few times I served with her were the only times I can truthfully say I enjoyed serving Mass.  Meh.  I gave up altar serving eventually when I realized that wearing a dress wasn't really the best way to pick up chicks, especially if they're wearing the same dress. 

In deed good Doctor makes for "fashion drama"  worthy of reality tee vee.

You flashed me back to eighth grade where I used to once in a while sneak to little greasy spoon for lunch. Sister Petronella would've had me excommunicated if she knew. (hyperbole) Well a certain little girl also in eighth grade was also being bad and showed up for a little lunch there. I played all the biggies on the juke box and we shared a large order of french fries with about a pound of ketchup, with two cokes. I floated back the two blocks to the school. This is in the days of Please Mr. Postman and Soldier Boy, and My Guy.

tim

"Those were the days, my friend,
We thought they'd never end…"

When I was in h.s., there was a little drugstore within easy walking distance of the school, and they made French fries from raw potatoes only after you ordered fries.  The waitress always told you it would be 20-30 minutes before you'd get your fries.  Of course they were great fries.  They also made fresh limeade there and had an excellent jukebox. 

One year, I think my sophomore year, a bunch of seniors cut class at the same time.  The principal just put on his hat and walked down to the drugstore, walked them back to school.  I'm not sure they were punished.  But they may not have gotten to eat their food and that would have been serious punishment!

You know putting all three stories together all I can say was God is great. Innocence and fun for kids what a delight.

tim

Hahaha. One of the best I've ever heard.