How to Eat Like a Hobbit
The Distributist Review is back up after a site redesign, and I was pleasantly surprised to find this article at the top. After sharing it on Facebook, it's been receiving interest from both very liberal and conservative friends:

http://distributistreview.com/mag/2012/0...-a-hobbit/

A short excerpt to give you an idea of what it's about:

"Ironically enough, the growing and eating of food also provides a startling case study in just how radically different is the social and economic vision that informed Tolkien’s formative years—the Third Way de-centralized economics of G.K. Chesterton and his circle—and the dominant economic paradigm of our own world, the literal fusion of Big Government and Big Business in the modern corporate state. That’s because at the heart of Distributist or Third Way thought is a belief in radical de-centralization, diversity and local control—particularly when it comes to the production of food. In contrast, the very essence of modern industrial food production is centralization, lack of diversity and national or corporate control."
Very interesting!

I was reading that yesterday. And I noticed the redesign too!
On seeing this topic I thought we were all going to have to start eating seven meals a day - breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper.
(08-26-2012, 12:27 AM)symphony8 Wrote: On seeing this topic I thought we were all going to have to start eating seven meals a day - breakfast, second breakfast, elevenses, luncheon, afternoon tea, dinner and supper.

:LOL:

:LOL:

I eat second breakfast and elevenses whenever I'm pregnant.  :grin:
what do hobbits eat?
(09-11-2012, 05:23 AM)Poche Wrote: what do hobbits eat?

everything in sight!
(09-11-2012, 05:23 AM)Poche Wrote: what do hobbits eat?

Basically, they eat naturally grown, wholesome, local foods:

Quote:Hobbits, along with most of the free peoples of Middle-earth, eat pure, naturally-grown, mostly wild foods from their own gardens or nearby fields: lush berries, fresh bread, cheese, cold meats, mushrooms (lots of those!), wine and beer. They eat frequently, usually in groups and often accompanied by poetry readings and songs. Hobbits are not vegetarians but they have a varied diet of whole, local foods, including Nimcelen, the hobbit version of potato salad; Soroname, a warm soup filled with pasta, meat, tomatoes, beans and onions; and Lembas, Elvish waybread. They drink wine and, when they can get it, such invigorating liquors as Ent-draughts and Miruvor, the life-giving and energizing elixir of the Elves.[1] Food has a spiritual as well as a biological purpose for them.