How To Be The Most Hated Person In A Room!
(08-23-2012, 08:30 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I like to think that maybe even if they seem combative or unreceptive to your arguments you still plant a seed, even if that seed doesn't break out of the sin baked soil of their souls for decades even. As the late Father John Hardon used to say, we are "channels of grace" and that the normal means God uses to bring grace to others is through people, through our own prayers and words and example.

Yes, what a good reminder. We never know when a seed once planted may come out of dormancy and germinate. Our hope is that our prayers and penances will help them along.
Unfortunately by all the siblings in my family they ALL believe, and practice "try it before you buy it" thing. I'm the wet blanket on the cold night that reminds them "why should your boyfriend buy the cow when he's getting all the milk for free?"  :grin: :LOL: Crass I know but it gets to the heart of the issue in an easy to understand way.
(08-23-2012, 09:06 PM)traditionalmom Wrote: Unfortunately by all the siblings in my family they ALL believe, and practice "try it before you buy it" thing. I'm the wet blanket on the cold night that reminds them "why should your boyfriend buy the cow when he's getting all the milk for free?"  :grin: :LOL: Crass I know but it gets to the heart of the issue in an easy to understand way.

It makes total sense, though! That's why you see people co-inhabiting for 10+ years without getting married, and even if the do they wait until they are at a more "responsible" age (26-29 seems to be the norm age for women these days) and then get divorced when they have a mid-life crisis. Give me a break.
(08-23-2012, 06:49 PM)jen51 Wrote:
(08-23-2012, 06:43 PM)salus Wrote: What an honor you took for Jesus Jen :salute:

Yes, indeed. :) It used to really upset me- people lashing out at my staunch beliefs, but anymore it usually tends to slide right off my shoulders after offering it up.

Wow I work in liberal central (NYC) that's never happened to me,  and I proudly display prayers cards of Our Divine Savior and Our Blessed Mother at my desk, not once has an uncharitable word been said to me...but I am glad you had an opportunity be endure a minor white martyrdom ..Christ is King...