Leaving Mass early
Because of no faith. Simple really.
the NO I attend actually had a similar sign..... it was done in a faux marble with gothic style font.... it was hung over the Holy Water font just outside the vestibule, and said "Judas Left Early Too"....  the priest got a lot of complaints and it was removed
(08-27-2012, 03:33 AM)Spooky Wrote:
Quote: couples with their children leave mass after holy communion

I've had to do this several times because they're (usually Babykins but sometimes James when he was a toddler) just acting up so much, I just want to get the heck out of there and end it.  :blush:

I totally understand. As a widespread practice, we need to make sure people know not to leave early. But in individual cases, we cannot and should not judge.  What if someone is going through something so difficult that we would not have gone to Mass in the same situation, and they did their best to try to come because they really love the Mass, but couldn't avoid coming a bit late? What if they have to take their sick grandmother to a medical appointment and were hoping to stay for all of Mass but things went a bit long and the person just has to leave even though Mass hasn't ended?
(08-27-2012, 02:04 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 09:03 PM)EcceQuamBonum Wrote: The image in the OP is brilliant.  Well played, sir.

Wasn't it St. John Vianney who would have torchbearers follow those who departed Mass early?  The story may be apocryphal, but the method would be effective, nonetheless.

Follow them and do what?

Humiliate them, I believe.  :LOL:

But, really, I think the point was to remind them that Communion had made them Christ-bearers and they were to comport themselves accordingly.
(08-27-2012, 07:29 PM)EcceQuamBonum Wrote: Humiliate them, I believe.   :LOL:

But, really, I think the point was to remind them that Communion had made them Christ-bearers and they were to comport themselves accordingly.

Oh. I don't remember ever leaving Mass early without a due reason, but if I were inclined to do so, a couple of torchbearers wouldn't be able to stop me.

I agree with what you say, though frequent Communion wasn't common in Vianney's day. I suppose it may have been different in Ars considering the man was a saint and imposed much higher standards on his flock.