Oy... I hate to do this!
(08-26-2012, 02:15 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: I would be more inclined to agree with you if Paul VI, John Paul II, and now Benedict XVI didn't flex their muscles with little ol Marcel Lefebvre, his seminary in Switzerland, and the four bishops he consecrated. Just sayin'  :tiphat:

This is true although the reason muscle flexing works with them is because they still have the Faith. They still believe in the Pope, in his authority and it's with fear of God in a time of crisis that they make the decisions they do. I believe most of the priests abusing their positions have no such respect or fear and probably couldn't care less what the Pope said to them. They might even take reprimand as a badge of progressive honor. It shouldn't stop the Pope from doing his duty so that his conscience is clean at least, but yeah, I don't know how much could be accomplished practically speaking.
(08-26-2012, 03:10 PM)DrBombay Wrote: It's better to act as if one has authority while not exercising it, than to attempt to exercise it and find out one has none. 

Is it really though? Is it better objectively speaking or is it just easier on one's pride?
(08-26-2012, 03:27 PM)wallflower Wrote:
(08-26-2012, 03:10 PM)DrBombay Wrote: It's better to act as if one has authority while not exercising it, than to attempt to exercise it and find out one has none. 

Is it really though? Is it better objectively speaking or is it just easier on one's pride?

The pope nowadays is in a precarious position.  If he wants to maintain the illusion of Petrine primacy, he has to tread delicately.  The bishops are willing to acknowledge that, at least tacitly.  But if he pushes them too far, it won't work.  The pope has almost zero temporal authority and there's not one nation in the world that would send its armed forces to back the pope even if he begged. 

Maybe it would be better to start excommunicating bishops and sending entire nations into schism.  I don't know.  The modern popes have obviously decided that's not the best way to handle things. I'll let God sort that out.
Maybe we should get back with that bishop again and if that doesn't work get with the apostolic nuncio and ask them for an explanation. 
(08-25-2012, 09:06 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Maybe they wanted to see the Mass their brethren wrought? 

Oh, now that's good.

(08-26-2012, 02:58 PM)Petertherock Wrote: The Pope has the ability and yes...even the duty to excommunicate dissidents. I would settle for bishops excommunicating so-called Catholic politicians that support abortions and sod marriages.

And Pope Pius XII could have excommunicated Hitler and every Catholic in the Nazi Party and military.  Do you think that would have done any good whatsoever?

The "Hitler's Pope" crowd, the ADL, the SPLC, etc., seemed to think it would have stopped the Holocaust.  I don't believe it would have done anything but cause  more Jews to be killed, along with a larger campaign to kill Catholics.

Do you know why St. Teresa Benedicta of the Cross was whisked off to Auschwitz and gassed within a week, along with some 300 other Catholics rounded up by the Nazis in Holland in a six day period in 1942?

The Dutch bishops composed a letter condemning what the Nazis stood for and what they were doing to the Jewish people, and the bishops told the Dutch priests to read this letter from their pulpits on a particular Sunday.  The priests obeyed and read the letter at Sunday Masses.

The Nazis set out the next day, if not on Sunday afternoon, to capture Catholics. but not just any Catholics.  They set out to capture Catholics who were converts, specifically converts who had been born to Jewish families and raised as Jews. And their goal was even more specific than that: they wanted to capture priests, nuns, and monks who had converted from Judaism to the Catholic Church and then entered the priesthood or religious life. 

If Pope Benedict XVI, or any Pope, excommunicated politicians for not following Catholic teachings, the result would be that Catholics would no longer run for public office, or would lose if they did run.

With no Catholics in Congress, and never another Catholic president, a law forbidding Catholics to be judges at any level, especially at SCOTUS, could easily be passed.  If the law also removed all Catholics on the Court at the time, appealing the law to the Supreme Court would do no good either.  SCOTUS wouldn't hear any cases concerning Catholics being discriminated against.

Be careful what you wish for.  You may get it.