Liturgical abuse before Vatican II
Besides the Feast of Asses and  the Feast of Fools what other liturgical abuse occurred before Vatican II? Did anyone experience some liturgical abuse in their home parish ?
I've heard of the Feast of Fools (Hunchback of Notre Dame), but Feast of Asses?
(08-26-2012, 08:44 PM)Miles Christi Wrote: I've heard of the Feast of Fools (Hunchback of Notre Dame), but Feast of Asses?

Yeah, the Festum Asinorum: http://www.danielmitsui.com/hieronymus/i...id=1933198

Quote:At the end of Mass, the priest, having turned to the people, in lieu of saying the Ite, Missa est, will bray thrice; the people instead of replying Deo Gratias say, Hinham, hinham, hinham.

So bizarre.
Based on what I've gathered from the older folks, liturgical abuse in the decades before Vatican II was mainly limited to saying Mass too quickly, and things like not observing the more specific rubrics in the Missal. I seriously doubt all diocesan priests pre-VII celebrated the Mass with the same militaristic precision as, say, the FSSP.

Then you have smaller things like how altars back then, and even in many trad chapels today, aren't properly covered with frontals, the tabernacles don't have proper veils, the high altars aren't freestanding or covered with canopies, they're dressed like garish flower stands, etc., etc., etc. Small affairs, but they are still rubrical.
HK is about right. Speed was necessary with so many Low Masses every day on the half hour. Two of the priests in my parish were like greased lightening. They could say the Mass in about 22-24 minutes, but they had other priests that would come from the Sacristy and delivered communion with them. From 8:00 am the Mass was on the hour so they were sung, but not quite like a Sunday Mass and things slowed down. I've heard some folks mention that there must have been lots of abuse as the reason for the cataclysm, and I have wondered who is pushing that notion. It's kind of hard to compare as the parishes were huge and many working people went to Mass before work daily or a few times a week.  They'd then jump on a bus and head to work, cars were a rarity.

tim
I remember reading on CAF a few years ago someone who insisted that one of the priests at his parish said a Low Mass in 7 minutes back in the day.  I called BS on that one and was warned off by the mod.  Meh. 
(08-26-2012, 10:00 PM)DrBombay Wrote: I remember reading on CAF a few years ago someone who insisted that one of the priests at his parish said a Low Mass in 7 minutes back in the day.  I called BS on that one and was warned off by the mod.  Meh. 

Exactly, many used to say that over there. It's absolutely unreasonable.
(08-26-2012, 10:00 PM)DrBombay Wrote: I remember reading on CAF a few years ago someone who insisted that one of the priests at his parish said a Low Mass in 7 minutes back in the day.  I called BS on that one and was warned off by the mod.  Meh. 

I've heard 15, but 7 seems to be stretching it. The fastest low Mass I've been to was about 30. Most run 45.
Yeah, 7 minutes, I do not buy it.  I did see a NO done in 12.  He was flying.  Even for the NO, that is a hard one to pull off.

Joe
St Cathereine of Sienna wrote in her Dialogs that Jesus complained that there were sonme priests who were in mortal sin who would not consecrate the host at mass but only pretend to do so. Of course this makes a bad situation worse.