Cordileone arrested for DUI
(08-27-2012, 07:54 PM)Dellery Wrote: What sort of people party hard with Bishops?
knights, rooks and sometimes queens.
Okay, here's some more info: http://www.cbs8.com/story/19387008/archb...dui-arrest

Bishop Cordileone Wrote:"While visiting in San Diego this past weekend, I had dinner at the home of some friends along with a priest friend visiting from outside the country and my mother, who lives near San  Diego State University. While driving my mother home, I passed through a DUI checkpoint the police had set up near the SDSU campus before I reached her home, and was found to be over the California legal blood alcohol level.

"I apologize for my error in judgment and feel shame for the disgrace I have brought upon the Church and myself. I will repay my debt to society and I ask forgiveness from my family and my friends and co-workers at the Diocese of Oakland and the Archdiocese of San Francisco.  I pray that God, in His inscrutable wisdom, will bring some good out of this."

He's admitted to the crime, but there's nothing unbecoming about what he was doing before he got in the car.
(08-27-2012, 08:03 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(08-27-2012, 07:54 PM)Dellery Wrote: What sort of people party hard with Bishops?

I might invite a bishop to a party, if he were an interesting fellow.

I'm more curious about whether he was arrested while wearing his clericals or if he was in civvies, rather than if he was actually drunk or not. There are many priests, and quite likely a few bishops, who regularly go out on the town in plainclothes with people who wouldn't recognize them as clerics.

Clericals were invented firstly with the purpose of keeping clerics from visiting taverns and bawdyhouses.

I was kind of picturing a hooker and cocaine scenario , maybe our definitions of "party hard" differ slightly. I also was pretty curious about whether he was wearing clerical garb or not.
(08-27-2012, 08:06 PM)ggreg Wrote:
Apparently Presidents as well now. 
(08-27-2012, 08:21 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Okay, here's some more info: http://www.cbs8.com/story/19387008/archb...dui-arrest

Bishop Cordileone Wrote:"While visiting in San Diego this past weekend, I had dinner at the home of some friends along with a priest friend visiting from outside the country and my mother, who lives near San  Diego State University. While driving my mother home, I passed through a DUI checkpoint the police had set up near the SDSU campus before I reached her home, and was found to be over the California legal blood alcohol level.

"I apologize for my error in judgment and feel shame for the disgrace I have brought upon the Church and myself. I will repay my debt to society and I ask forgiveness from my family and my friends and co-workers at the Diocese of Oakland and the Archdiocese of San Francisco.  I pray that God, in His inscrutable wisdom, will bring some good out of this."

He's admitted to the crime, but there's nothing unbecoming about what he was doing before he got in the car.

So it wasn't a set up.

Add a prayer to his, for him and for the reputation of the Church.  We know God will bring some good out of it, though it just seems embarrassing (though innocent) now.
(08-27-2012, 08:21 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: He's admitted to the crime, but there's nothing unbecoming about what he was doing before he got in the car.
I agree - and his response is mature and contrite.  There's nothing the adversary would like more than to have a scandal to weaken the new Archbishop, so here's praying the damage is limited. :pray:
(08-27-2012, 07:44 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Suspicious for both the press and Cordileone. I'd wait for further developments before making a conclusion. But if I were bishop, I'd never drive myself around. In fact, I thought it was the norm for bishops of large cities to have personal drivers. Sounds like he was out, partying hard.

This.  In Milwaukee, it seems, our Abp. has his own driver. 

Just dumb, dumb, dumb.
Oh No this will be used against him that he could have killed somebody. He was in his hometown of San Diego
(08-27-2012, 08:06 PM)ggreg Wrote:

Tee hee  :grin:
Back in a more civilized time Bishops had people that drove them.