Cordileone arrested for DUI
(08-28-2012, 01:19 PM)Scriptorium Wrote:
(08-28-2012, 08:13 AM)Edward Wrote: Over the limit - .08 is not drunk to everyone. You can drink 3 or 4 beers and be over the limit but thats far from drunk for some people

Note that this is a state law, and not a moral law. It does not mean he was objectively drunk, or that he had too much to drink. He could have had just two beers, which is nothing for a normal dinner. Really, the law is too strict. It's based on a number, not on one's true ability to drive. Some have accused DUI checkpoints and blood alcohol tests as pre-crime, since he didn't actually harm someone. I am sure I have broken the .08 many times. I am sure most casual drinkers do. I am glad the Archbishop is contrite, but I don't think the Vatican will make any deal out of this.

Good post!
Be reasonable.

0.08 is one of the highest limits in the world.  In fact, the only place higher than that at 0.1 is the Cayman Islands.  Most of Europe has 0.05 and at least 10% of countries in the world have 0.00 i.e. Zero Tolerance, including Japan, Ukraine and Hungary as well as pretty much every muslim country.

http://www.drinkdriving.org/worldwide_dr...limits.php

For a normal man, who has eaten a meal and not rushed out of the door downing his glass that means 2 ordinary beers (say a total of 1.5 pints) would put him under the limit.  Especially that weak piss you call beer in America.  If you're going to be driving stick to a single glass of beer or wine.  That should be simple enough.  If you go over that get someone else to drive or take a cab.  I am pretty sure that a Bishop has an expense account and a bunch of people who would drive him in their cars.

We don't know what the Bishops blood level of alchol was, but I doubt it was 0.85 somehow or the cops would have let him off with a warning I would imagine.

He was probably not thinking and got caught out.  He should get a rap on the knuckles.  Drink driving is dangerous.

(08-29-2012, 02:13 PM)ggreg Wrote: Be reasonable.

0.08 is one of the highest limits in the world.  In fact, the only place higher than that at 0.1 is the Cayman Islands.  Most of Europe has 0.05 and at least 10% of countries in the world have 0.00 i.e. Zero Tolerance, including Japan, Ukraine and Hungary as well as pretty much every muslim country.

http://www.drinkdriving.org/worldwide_dr...limits.php

For a normal man, who has eaten a meal and not rushed out of the door downing his glass that means 2 ordinary beers (say a total of 1.5 pints) would put him under the limit.  Especially that weak piss you call beer in America.  If you're going to be driving stick to a single glass of beer or wine.  That should be simple enough.  If you go over that get someone else to drive or take a cab.  I am pretty sure that a Bishop has an expense account and a bunch of people who would drive him in their cars.

We don't know what the Bishops blood level of alchol was, but I doubt it was 0.85 somehow or the cops would have let him off with a warning I would imagine.

He was probably not thinking and got caught out.  He should get a rap on the knuckles.  Drink driving is dangerous.

Yes I remember the 0 tolerance of Eastern Europe (Slovakia)... never had so many breathylizer tests in my life. Cough syrup? Chocolate bonbon with sherry inside? Sorry, cannot do... Terrible... ghastly... and now in Italy the limit is so stringent that they took all the fun out of life. Last night with a glass and a half of Barbera in my well-fed belly they would've hauled me in and sent me to some goofy enlightenment re-education camp.