Foxman Calls On Indian Retailer To Remove 'Hitler' Label From Clothing Store
New York, NY, August 30, 2012 … The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today called on the owner of an Indian clothing store in the city of Ahmedabad to heed the concerns of the local Jewish community and the voices of others from around the world by immediately changing the store's name from "Hitler" and removing a large storefront sign that features a swastika and the Nazi dictator's name in boldface English.

Store owner Rajesh Shah is the most recent Indian to use the notorious dictator's name to market a product or concept.  Last November, ADL spoke out about after the premiere of an Indian soap opera called "Hitler Didi" named for the domineering female lead character and has raised concerns in the past about other Indian businesses using Hitler's name as a promotional tool.

[Image: FP-20120830.jpg]

"It is a perverse abuse of the history of the Holocaust to name a business after one of the world's most notorious mass murders and anti-Semites," said Abraham H. Foxman, ADL National Director and a Holocaust survivor.  "Hitler's name is seeping into India's popular culture without any appropriate context.  Clearly there's a need for more education in India about the history of World War II and the rampant anti-Semitism that led to the mass murder of six million Jews and tens of millions of others in the Holocaust."

In a letter to Mr. Shah, ADL called his decision to name his store after Hitler "deeply offensive" and "an affront to the memory of the millions of Hitler's victims."  The League noted that the image of his storefront, with the word "Hitler" prominently displayed in English and a swastika dotting the letter "i," has been widely circulated around the world on the Internet.

In August 2006, ADL spoke out against a Hitler-themed restaurant in Mumbai named "Hitler's Cross," helping to convince the owner to change the restaurant's name and theme.
i'd shop there just to piss off Abe Foxman
(08-31-2012, 03:00 AM)Spooky Wrote: i'd shop there just to piss off Abe Foxman

And that would show great disrespect to the families of all the WW2 soldiers killed in the European campaign.
(08-31-2012, 11:43 AM)In nomine Patris Wrote:
(08-31-2012, 03:00 AM)Spooky Wrote: i'd shop there just to piss off Abe Foxman

And that would show great disrespect to the families of all the WW2 soldiers killed in the European campaign.

How so? Hitler is now a cartoon as are all dictators. Lots of civilians died in Europe too. And isn't it funny that the Three Stooges and Charlie Chaplin also managed to make comedy of Hitler, and I believe this was before the war. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Where is the outrage for that? And why is this material still shown on TV and not banned?

This looks to me like an ADL operation to keep the Anti-Semitism canard alive and well. India has lots of Jewish money coming into it and Mossad was probably behind Mumbai operation over Thanksgiving weekend a few years back.

What's next? Will Levi-Strauss re-name "straight-legged" jeans so as to not offend homosexuals? Have they already? I don't know.

I once did an ad featuring Castro with a line about every dictator needing one. Won't mention the product. 

Either way, I find your concern over the families of WWII soldiers who died to be a bit narrow in scope. Plenty came back mentally wounded as well. And of course I also mentioned the civilians. But, I did not mention the complete devastation of Europe and the Cold War and all the money laid out for it all.

When will Abe and his co-religionists accuse the Warburgs and other Jewish bankers for financing Hitler? Or FDR and Churchill for setting up a Treaty of Defense for Poland which they never honored. Foxman's native Poland was never helped by the Allies and she and the rest of Eastern Europe were gifted to the Soviet Union. But, Abe has no problem with that. It would eat in to his particular brand of Shoah Business.

spoken like a true ignoramus, do you know anyone whose relatives fought in WW2? I do and they completely disagree. We have had conversations about this before and hitler is to be completely despised.
(08-31-2012, 01:19 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: spoken like a true ignoramus, do you know anyone whose relatives fought in WW2? I do and they completely disagree. We have had conversations about this before and hitler is to be completely despised.

I have relatives (close) who fought in WW2.

I once attracted some ire from my mother for suggesting that Hitler was in fact a person, and not the simply demonized embodiment of evil.

Hitler must be seen as the person he was, not some imaginary figure in our mind. Right now, "Hitler" is seen as purely evil, a monster, and inhuman. What he actually did and believed is mostly ignored. They do not see him as a WWI veteran who underwent a political transformation and strove to impose his (publicly known) ideology on what he believed to be the German birthright. Hitler's policies are seen as evil now. However, then, they were not. In fact, many of them were based on US studies (including use of gas chambers for mass killing of genetically undesirable people).

To completely despite Hitler makes him just a vague imaginary idea, and does a great disservice to the reality.

As bizarre and unpalatable this clothing store is, and the whimsical use of the Hitler reign for entertainment, it is not any better to be blind to reality by seeing Hilter as inhuman and wholly evil.

As you note, those who have a personal connection may have a stronger feeling on the subject, but what does this show? Where is the outrage for the people who did worse than Hitler, but did not have a personal connection? Is this outrage merely a product of personal aversion, or a moral judgement and realization of what happened?

(08-31-2012, 01:19 PM)In nomine Patris Wrote: spoken like a true ignoramus, do you know anyone whose relatives fought in WW2? I do and they completely disagree. We have had conversations about this before and hitler is to be completely despised.

Yes, Jack Ass. My own. First generation Americans whose parents came from Poland.

Who is defending Hitler here? Certainly not me. But, I'm glad they found a reason for going over there and fighting. Whatever works.

So what do they think of the America of today? The Land in which they fought for. Must be a bitch to think about, but they will always have Hitler to hang their collective hat on, right?

If you are bored this long weekend, you may want to rent the Holocaust mini-series from 1977. I think it stars Meryl Streep in her first TV appearance.

Rosarium Wrote:Right now, "Hitler" is seen as purely evil, a monster, and inhuman.

Yes, this came to mind as well. I've been watching WWII docu's on youtube (the sometimes unintentionally hilarious "Hitler's Henchmen" for example). And it brought to mind just how when I was a kid that Hitler was more of a boogeyman than an actual person. Another person posted Eva Braun's home movies and it just shows a guy playing with his dog. Evil man who did evil things? You bet, but not some ethereal monster in the closet. Not the boogeyman. (I think that title is reserved for Pol Pot)

Quote: do you know anyone whose relatives fought in WW2?
My grandfather on my dad's side fought in WWI and both my mom's bio dad and step-dad fought in WWII.

Abe Foxman dishonors all war victims every time he runs his ungrateful mouth.

Rosarium Wrote:Right now, "Hitler" is seen as purely evil, a monster, and inhuman.

Yes, this came to mind as well. I've been watching WWII docu's on youtube (the sometimes unintentionally hilarious "Hitler's Henchmen" for example). And it brought to mind just how when I was a kid that Hitler was more of a boogeyman than an actual person. Another person posted Eva Braun's home movies and it just shows a guy playing with his dog. Evil man who did evil things? You bet, but not some ethereal monster in the closet. Not the boogeyman. (I think that title is reserved for Pol Pot)

Quote: do you know anyone whose relatives fought in WW2?
My grandfather on my dad's side fought in WWI and both my mom's bio dad and step-dad fought in WWII.

Abe Foxman dishonors all war victims every time he runs his ungrateful mouth. He will, without fail, use The Holocaust to bully people into doing what he wants.
Sorry, I tried to edit my post but it just quoted myself. I thought Gold fish memebers could edit?