Why did the Kennedys become bad Catholics?

In class we were discussing how JFK was the first Catholic US president. And read all about him and his family. His mother was a devout Catholic that when her daughter married an Anglican duke or baronet she refused to attend, (only one brother attended). The video above was very very informative. Whatever happened to them? What went wrong? Can anyone here answer? I'm not american so i think it would be better to get answers from American Catholics who know a lot about them than i do. thanks!!  :)
(09-02-2012, 08:46 AM)Filipino Catholic Wrote: Whatever happened to them? What went wrong? Can anyone here answer? I'm not american so i think it would be better to get answers from American Catholics who know a lot about them than i do. thanks!!  :)

I do not know (or care), but I think the draw to politics is an indication that their lives were directed by social goals rather than religious.

Henry VIII was declared a Defender of the Faith for what he did in opposing Luther remember.

The faith of the rich and powerful (either or both) is often weaker than the faith of the poor, because they have more draw to the world. The blessings of this world can be a trap, although they are not by nature.
Vatican II happened, that's what.
I'm not making him a saint, but when he was shot, there was a priest in the emergency room to hear his confession and administer Last Rites. There are no accidents and there is no such thing as luck, either God willed it or he allowed evil it's way, and priests administering the sacraments are not an evil.

tim
I believe there were two priests, not just one!  :)
(09-02-2012, 08:55 AM)Rosarium Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 08:46 AM)Filipino Catholic Wrote: Whatever happened to them? What went wrong? Can anyone here answer? I'm not american so i think it would be better to get answers from American Catholics who know a lot about them than i do. thanks!!  :)

I do not know (or care), but I think the draw to politics is an indication that their lives were directed by social goals rather than religious.

Henry VIII was declared a Defender of the Faith for what he did in opposing Luther remember.

The faith of the rich and powerful (either or both) is often weaker than the faith of the poor, because they have more draw to the world. The blessings of this world can be a trap, although they are not by nature.

What happened was Vat. II and the secularization of the USA.  The more money people made, the less they needed God.  It has and is happening in every country that has seen more money in peoples' pockets. 
(09-02-2012, 09:06 AM)TraditionalistThomas Wrote: Vatican II happened, that's what.

The Kennedys were hardly angels long before Vatican II.  :LOL:

Seriously, why does anybody become a bad Catholic? We are fallen. And politics and power corrupts. It is extremely difficult for anyone with power and fame and money to resist the temptation that is thrown at them. This is why so many kings fall. This is why moviestars crash and burn. I think Jackie really tried to live her faith. We can't judge the hearts of John, Bobby or their father, but I too heard that JFK received last rites, and that the night before his assassination both he and Jackie went to confession at the cathedral in Dallas.

Also, I have to say that those of us alive back then didn't think they were "bad Catholics." My mother kept a framed 8 by 10 photo of John F. Kennedy on the mantel. We loved the Kennedys.
(09-02-2012, 09:54 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 09:06 AM)TraditionalistThomas Wrote: Vatican II happened, that's what.

This! Vatican II was less than half over when JFK was assassinated.
(09-02-2012, 10:41 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 09:54 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:

This! Vatican II was less than half over when JFK was assassinated.

I was thinking also of the father Joseph.. who reportedly had an affair with Gloria Swanson back in the 1920s and 30s.
(09-02-2012, 11:00 AM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I was thinking also of the father Joseph.. who reportedly had an affair with Gloria Swanson back in the 1920s and 30s.

The nut doesn't fall far from the tree, eh?