Why did the Kennedys become bad Catholics?
(09-02-2012, 02:03 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 01:38 PM)DrBombay Wrote: What most everyone has said here.  Money and power (politics) is what did it. 

I often wonder if JFK had lived to see Roe v. Wade if he would have gone along with it like most everyone in his party and family did? 

Even Ted Kennedy held a pro-life position in 1973. In the years following Roe v. Wade he did a reversal.

Was that before or after he let the girl drown?
(09-02-2012, 09:34 AM)Tim Wrote: I'm not making him a saint, but when he was shot, there was a priest in the emergency room to hear his confession and administer Last Rites. There are no accidents and there is no such thing as luck, either God willed it or he allowed evil it's way, and priests administering the sacraments are not an evil.

tim

Was he conscious enough to confess?  Without being too graphic, it seems like the shot that entered his head did enough damage to rend him unable to do anything like confessing.

I hope that he could have and did.
I'm somewhat of a JFK assassination buff. The first report of a priest being called was broadcast by Jay Watson of WFAA-TV in Dallas. Father Oscar Huber of Holy Trinity Church was one of two priests in the ER; he was the priest who, when asked if JFK was dead, said to the media, "He's dead, all right." JFK was likely killed instantly when he was hit in the head, so his absolution would have been conditional. Just for the record, JFK spent his last night at the Hotel Texas in Fort Worth, not Dallas.

For a site that has a TON of JFK stuff, go here: http://dvp-video-audio-archive.blogspot.com.
Thanx, Lee Timer !

tim
You're welcome, Tim. If you're a buff like me, that site will occupy your time for hours and hours.
Maybe jfk wasnt a bad catholic ( in the general sense) and most is revolutionary jew propaganda
Skip to 4:15:

Yay, Latin!  That would make me want an English Mass too.  :O
(09-02-2012, 12:06 PM)Revixit Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 09:34 AM)Tim Wrote: I'm not making him a saint, but when he was shot, there was a priest in the emergency room to hear his confession and administer Last Rites. There are no accidents and there is no such thing as luck, either God willed it or he allowed evil it's way, and priests administering the sacraments are not an evil.

tim
I think I've read that the Last Rites were given to JFK conditionally.  You've seen the back of his head blown off in the Zapruder film, right?  And Jackie trying to climb on the car to catch the back of his head before it falls off the car?  It would not seem that he could have confessed, would seem he was DOA and it just wasn't announced for a while.  But who knows?   It was a terrible day, that's all I remember.  Nothing I'd ever expected to happen in this country in our time.

The absolution was indeed conditional.  Here is a series of clips, including an interview with Fr. Huber, who describes his administration of Extreme Unction and accompanying absolution.

Cardinal Cushing's Latin is priceless.
(09-02-2012, 09:23 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Skip to 4:15:

Yay, Latin!  That would make me want an English Mass too.  :O

So, forgive my ignorance here, but if you skip to 5:21, I note that the celebrant inclines the chalice toward himself and bows over the chalice to speak the consecration formula.  Right.  But is it normal for the celebrant to, um, bury his face in the chalice as the good cardinal does here?

Also, I agree with Lee.  Cardinal Cushing's Latin is quite badass.