Why did the Kennedys become bad Catholics?
Jfk was a better president then any of the scum that followed...in fact he was the last great president..with reagan coming distant 2nd
(09-02-2012, 09:39 PM)EcceQuamBonum Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 09:23 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Skip to 4:15:

Yay, Latin!  That would make me want an English Mass too.  :O

So, forgive my ignorance here, but if you skip to 5:21, I note that the celebrant inclines the chalice toward himself and bows over the chalice to speak the consecration formula.  Right.  But is it normal for the celebrant to, um, bury his face in the chalice as the good cardinal does here?

Also, I agree with Lee.  Cardinal Cushing's Latin is quite badass.

Meh.  The Cardinal was probably in his 70s at that point.  Which means he'd been saying Mass for some 50 years.  You know what they say about familiarity breeding contempt.  I think its important for current trads to see things like this though.  The Mass back then wasn't always like what you find today in your SSPX/FSSP/Indie chapel.  I'm sure the way some priests said Mass back then truly was scandalous to a lot of folks.  And in this case I don't think the Cardinal was being disrespectful.  Like I say, over familiarity was the likely culprit.  But the nose in the chalice was just odd.

And Lee said it was "priceless" not badass.  He was mocking one of the YouTube commenters, who should be mocked always and everywhere per omnia secula seculorum.  
What's wrong with that Mass? That's how I remember it as a small child. I guess that's all I can go by. I have not been to a Latin Mass in my adult years. I'm guessing the traditional priests today say the Mass more... reverently or something?

???
Oh wait.. I did go to a TLM four years ago. Now I remember. That Mass was quite a "show" though.
(09-02-2012, 10:26 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: What's wrong with that Mass? That's how I remember it as a small child. I guess that's all I can go by. I have not been to a Latin Mass in my adult years. I'm guessing the traditional priests today say the Mass more... reverently or something?

???

The Cardinal was rushing through his Latin and his pronunciation was atrocious.  I don't think it was intentional, it's like brushing your teeth or combing your hair.  You do it without thinking.  Many English Masses I attend nowadays are said the same way - the flat, bored, sing-song recitation. 
I couldn't hear Cardinal Cushing. Is there  a way to increase volume besides the video or my computer volume ? I have this problem with lots of these.

tim
(09-02-2012, 10:26 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: What's wrong with that Mass? That's how I remember it as a small child. I guess that's all I can go by. I have not been to a Latin Mass in my adult years. I'm guessing the traditional priests today say the Mass more... reverently or something?

???

The better question is, what's right with that Mass? Haha. As EcceQuamBonum points out, Cardinal Cushing is actually putting his face into the chalice at the 5:21 mark, during the consecration. It looks totally ridiculous.

The way he reads the words out of the Missal also sounds like a farce. The music is awful.

Finally, I'm surprised that at the funeral Mass of a head of state, celebrated by a cardinal, he's still not assisted by a deacon and subdeacon. Looks like a pontifical low Mass.

This is a much better picture of what the old Mass is supposed to look and sound like. Except for the vestments, which I hate. But otherwise, you can see this is nothing like the JFK funeral:

(09-02-2012, 10:34 PM)Tim Wrote: I couldn't hear Cardinal Cushing. Is there  a way to increase volume besides the video or my computer volume ? I have this problem with lots of these.

tim

If you have headphones with a separate volume control that helps.  That's how I do it but even then I sometimes have trouble hearing some YouTube videos.
Cushing was (is) known for his accent. One of the teachers at my NO High School, someone well connected with Democrats, told me that, back in the day, Cushing used to give long sermons in that voice.

Today, trad priests are going to pay much more attention to detail about rubrics, servers, and so on. Then, it was normal; today, it's by choice.
I believe I have read before that Mrs. Kennedy specifically asked for the funeral to be a Pontifical Low Mass rather than a Pontifical High Mass, although I could be wrong on this. I think also that there had been a push to have the funeral at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, but somehow the Cathedral of St. Matthew got chosen instead.