Why did the Kennedys become bad Catholics?
Yes, the Requiem was a Pontifical Low Mass. However, the next month, there was a High Mass in Boston, and they played (a liturgical abuse) Mozart's Requiem. I have a recording of that Mass. See http://www.thebostonpilot.com/article.asp?ID=7486
(09-02-2012, 11:03 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: Yes, the Requiem was a Pontifical Low Mass. However, the next month, there was a High Mass in Boston, and they played (a liturgical abuse) Mozart's Requiem. I have a recording of that Mass. See http://www.thebostonpilot.com/article.asp?ID=7486

Ah, interesting.
(09-02-2012, 09:55 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Meh.  The Cardinal was probably in his 70s at that point.  Which means he'd been saying Mass for some 50 years.  You know what they say about familiarity breeding contempt.  I think its important for current trads to see things like this though.  The Mass back then wasn't always like what you find today in your SSPX/FSSP/Indie chapel.  I'm sure the way some priests said Mass back then truly was scandalous to a lot of folks.  And in this case I don't think the Cardinal was being disrespectful.  Like I say, over familiarity was the likely culprit.  But the nose in the chalice was just odd.

And Lee said it was "priceless" not badass.  He was mocking one of the YouTube commenters, who should be mocked always and everywhere per omnia secula seculorum.  

Yes, my calling his Latin "badass" had more to do with Cardinal Cushing's accent than it did with his actual Latin, whose pronunciation and rate of delivery are, well, atrocious. 

I'm glad I wasn't way off base on the whole "faceplant in the Chalice" thing, though.  :LOL:
(09-02-2012, 11:20 PM)EcceQuamBonum Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 09:55 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Meh.  The Cardinal was probably in his 70s at that point.  Which means he'd been saying Mass for some 50 years.  You know what they say about familiarity breeding contempt.  I think its important for current trads to see things like this though.  The Mass back then wasn't always like what you find today in your SSPX/FSSP/Indie chapel.  I'm sure the way some priests said Mass back then truly was scandalous to a lot of folks.  And in this case I don't think the Cardinal was being disrespectful.  Like I say, over familiarity was the likely culprit.  But the nose in the chalice was just odd.

And Lee said it was "priceless" not badass.  He was mocking one of the YouTube commenters, who should be mocked always and everywhere per omnia secula seculorum.  

Yes, my calling his Latin "badass" had more to do with Cardinal Cushing's accent than it did with his actual Latin, whose pronunciation and rate of delivery are, well, atrocious.   

I'm glad I wasn't way off base on the whole "faceplant in the Chalice" thing, though.   :LOL:

Maybe he really liked the smell of wine? 
I realize this thread has been derailed. But I have to add that President Kennedy had a missal on him when he died. Also, apparently he took the sacraments often, and in his last days had started to take his faith more seriously. More in this thread:

President Kennedy's Missal
(09-02-2012, 11:39 PM)m.PR Wrote: I realize this thread has been derailed. But I have to add that President Kennedy had a missal on him when he died. Also, apparently he took the sacraments often, and in his last days had started to take his faith more seriously. More in this thread:

I've heard that JFK did, in fact, become more religious and grow closer to Jackie after Patrick died. There's never any shortage of JFK rumors, of course, so you never know what to believe.

EDIT: Typo
(09-02-2012, 11:39 PM)m.PR Wrote: I realize this thread has been derailed. But I have to add that President Kennedy had a missal on him when he died. Also, apparently he took the sacraments often, and in his last days had started to take his faith more seriously. More in this thread:

What's really sad is that Johnson was already president simply by the fact that Kennedy was dead.  He didn't have to be sworn in on anything.  He just used it as a photo op and he dragged out Mrs. Kennedy in her grief and blood stained dress as a prop.  The man was an SOB.
(09-02-2012, 11:59 PM)DrBombay Wrote: What's really sad is that Johnson was already president simply by the fact that Kennedy was dead.  He didn't have to be sworn in on anything.  He just used it as a photo op and he dragged out Mrs. Kennedy in her grief and blood stained dress as a prop.  The man was an SOB.

Wasn't A. Johnson sworn in after Lincoln died as well?
(09-02-2012, 11:59 PM)DrBombay Wrote: What's really sad is that Johnson was already president simply by the fact that Kennedy was dead.  He didn't have to be sworn in on anything.  He just used it as a photo op and he dragged out Mrs. Kennedy in her grief and blood stained dress as a prop.  The man was an SOB.

Funny how that is. The rituals of state are just for show. The President becomes President at noon on Inauguration Day, regardless of the oath. The British monarch becomes monarch immediately after the old one dies. The coronation is just a formality.
(09-03-2012, 12:06 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:

Wasn't A. Johnson sworn in after Lincoln died as well?

I don't know.  Constitutionally it's not required though.  The Vice President assumes the presidency upon the death of the President automatically.  No oath is required.  But I'm willing to be corrected.