Why did the Kennedys become bad Catholics?
(09-03-2012, 01:21 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: Mike, I also heard that LBJ swore on the First Lady's missal, since there was no Bible around. Any truth to that?

We had a thread on that recently. It was JFK's personal Missal which is now in the LBJ Presidential Library.
(09-03-2012, 01:35 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(09-03-2012, 01:21 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: Mike, I also heard that LBJ swore on the First Lady's missal, since there was no Bible around. Any truth to that?

We had a thread on that recently. It was JFK's personal Missal which is now in the LBJ Presidential Library.

Am I in bizarro world?  Did you guys just miss the past 5 pages of this thread where this was discussed in some detail and the thread in question was even linked? 

Or is someone just yanking my chain?  ???
(09-03-2012, 01:19 AM)moneil Wrote:
(09-03-2012, 12:06 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 11:59 PM)DrBombay Wrote: What's really sad is that Johnson was already president simply by the fact that Kennedy was dead.  He didn't have to be sworn in on anything.  He just used it as a photo op and he dragged out Mrs. Kennedy in her grief and blood stained dress as a prop.  The man was an SOB.

Wasn't A. Johnson sworn in after Lincoln died as well?

Indeed Andrew Johnson was sworn in http://histsociety.blogspot.com/2010/11/...ident.html, as was Harry Truman following the death of Franklin Roosevelt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_inaug..._S._Truman.  Vice-President Gerald Ford took the oath following the resignation of Richard Nixon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inauguratio...erald_Ford.  It is a strong precedent, dating back to Vice-Presidet John Tyler taking the Oath of Office after the death of President William Henry Harrison in 1841, only 32 days after his inauguration, the first President to die in office.

Whatever else one may think of Lyndon Johnson, I don't believe he "organized" the taking of the oath administered by Federal Judge Sarah Hughes as a "photo op".  I think it is something that the people expected, and was an action that had strong precedent and tradition.  Regardless of what the Constitution says (this was before the passage of the 25th. Amendment in 1967) the conspiracy theory nutters would have totally whaked out even more than usual if Johnson hadn't taken the oath.  The Warren Commission Report states
Quote:From the Presidential airplane, the new President telephoned Attorney General Robert F. Kennedy, who advised that Mr. Johnson take the Presidential oath of office before the plane left Dallas. Federal Judge Sarah T. Hughes hastened to the plane to administer the oath. Members of the Presidential and Vice-Presidential parties filled the central compartment of the plane to witness the swearing in. At 2:38 p.m., e.s.t., Lyndon Baines Johnson took the oath of office as the 36th President of the United States. audio Mrs. Kennedy and Mrs. Johnson stood at the side of the new President as he took the oath of office. Nine minutes later, the Presidential airplane departed for Washington, D.C.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_inaug...B._Johnson

Well, LBJ was still an SOB.  Q.E.D.
moneil Wrote:Whatever else one may think of Lyndon Johnson, I don't believe he "organized" the taking of the oath administered by Federal Judge Sarah Hughes as a "photo op".  I think it is something that the people expected, and was an action that had strong precedent and tradition.  Regardless of what the Constitution says (this was before the passage of the 25th. Amendment in 1967) the conspiracy theory nutters would have totally whaked out even more than usual if Johnson hadn't taken the oath

This is what my mom says too. She and I were talking about this just the other day.
(09-03-2012, 01:43 AM)DrBombay Wrote: Well, LBJ was still an SOB.  Q.E.D.

He may have been (I play my cards close to the chest on this question), but not for the reason you mentioned.  :bronxcheer:
Unreated to this thread (things unrelated to a thread being a venerable Fish Eaters tradition), I'll share three interesting (to me) tibits:

On May 9, 1962 Vice-President Lyndon Johnson came to eastern Washington State to dedicate Ice Harbor Dam on the Snake River.  As Pasco, WA was but a small burgh at the time the luncheon was held at the public high school cafeteria, there being no other suitable venue in town.  The parochial school I attended (I was in 5th or 6th grade) was just around the corner and the nuns let us out onto the sidewalk to view the motorcade as it proceeded to the dam site.  LBJ, in an open convertable and being the ultimate "glad hander", when he saw all the kids halted the motorcade and hopped out ~ I shook his hand.

In September 1963 President John Kennedy came to eastern WA state for the ground breaking of the N Reactor on the Hanford Nuclear Reservation.  I and several of my classmates were released from school and rode out with my aunt to watch the affair.  I have a very grainy black and white photo I took of President Kennedy giving his speach.

It was not uncommon "back in the day" for school children to write letters to The President, I suppose especially parochial school children writing the first Catholic President.  I wrote my letter and received a prefuctory yet nice acknowledgement of my composition from a member of the President's staff, which arrived in an official White House envelope.  The post mark on the envelope was November 22, 1963.
(09-03-2012, 02:30 AM)moneil Wrote: It was not uncommon "back in the day" for school children to write letters to The President, I suppose especially parochial school children writing the first Catholic President.  I wrote my letter and received a prefuctory yet nice acknowledgement of my composition from a member of the President's staff, which arrived in an official White House envelope.  The post mark on the envelope was November 22, 1963.

Wow! 
(09-03-2012, 01:41 AM)DrBombay Wrote:
(09-03-2012, 01:35 AM)jovan66102 Wrote:

Am I in bizarro world?  Did you guys just miss the past 5 pages of this thread where this was discussed in some detail and the thread in question was even linked? 

Yeah. Helloooo.  :angrywom:
(09-02-2012, 11:59 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(09-02-2012, 11:39 PM)m.PR Wrote: I realize this thread has been derailed. But I have to add that President Kennedy had a missal on him when he died. Also, apparently he took the sacraments often, and in his last days had started to take his faith more seriously. More in this thread:

President Kennedy's Missal

What's really sad is that Johnson was already president simply by the fact that Kennedy was dead.  He didn't have to be sworn in on anything.  He just used it as a photo op and he dragged out Mrs. Kennedy in her grief and blood stained dress as a prop.  The man was an SOB.

Mrs. Kennedy refused to change her clothes. She said "I want them to see what they did to him."

She was intelligent, so once she knew Jack was dead, which may have been very soon after he was shot, I think she would have asked herself  "Cui bono?"

She might have then decided to make the man who benefited most spend the first hour or two riding in a plane with Jack's widow covered in Jack's blood.

Jack's body could be put in a box in the plane's cargo hold, out of sight, but LBJ had to look at her.
Of course he really was an SOB so whether it bothered him, who knows?

If LBJ knew about the plot to murder JFK, and was silent, it becomes suspicious why he obeyed McNamara on not ending the war kowing full well we were losing it and could never win. Bankers have the real power.

tim