My dilemma
(09-04-2012, 09:25 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 09:22 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 09:17 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 02:09 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(09-03-2012, 11:54 PM)DrBombay Wrote: First of all, it is highly unlikely he is as good looking as you presume him to be.  Mothers always think their children are attractive, even if they are as ugly as a barrel full of monkeys.
While he may not be as good looking as me,

Yes, I know.  I've seen pictures of you.

Please. Remember I am trying to be humble.

That is a nefarious edit.  But well played.   :sneaky:

I just removed what was not being referenced. Obviously, you were agreeing the major point of my post. If you were not, you should have specified the minor point.
(09-04-2012, 09:34 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 09:25 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 09:22 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 09:17 PM)DrBombay Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 02:09 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(09-03-2012, 11:54 PM)DrBombay Wrote: First of all, it is highly unlikely he is as good looking as you presume him to be.  Mothers always think their children are attractive, even if they are as ugly as a barrel full of monkeys.
While he may not be as good looking as me,

Yes, I know.  I've seen pictures of you.

Please. Remember I am trying to be humble.

That is a nefarious edit.  But well played.   :sneaky:

I just removed what was not being referenced. Obviously, you were agreeing the major point of my post. If you were not, you should have specified the minor point.

Nobody likes a wise guy, Rosie.  Except when you have je ne se quois, which I do.  Then it's acceptable.  :tiphat:
(09-04-2012, 09:37 PM)DrBombay Wrote: Nobody likes a wise guy, Rosie.  Except when you have je ne se quois, which I do.  Then it's acceptable.   :tiphat:

You don't know many things. No telling what.
to the OP. 

There's always this difficulty for people to think that they have to "figure out" what they want.  But there's really only a few things we SHOULD actually want.  And all of that can stem from having a sense of duty.  Everyone should feel a sense of duty towards something/someone.  And if you think you dont feel like you have a sense of duty towards anything, just think about it a little longer. 

Some people have a sense of duty towards work, towards family, towards God, towards things that are sinful.  But no matter what, people will have a sense of duty towards something.  All your son needs to do is realize two things:  your time is limited in this world, and is what you're focusing as your "duty" the right thing you feel you should be doing?

When I was growing up, my duty was to my parents and my upbringing, when i moved out, my duty was to my job and doing it well.  When i got married, my duty changed towards my wife, and then my family.

When you talk to your son, just ask him.  Has he defined his current duty in life?  Does he like that situation?  Because if he doesnt, he should make some changes.

P.S. the Church definitely always provides a sense of duty, if people are feeling lost and need something to put their life towards.
oh, and i'm definitely willing to talk to him, if he needs a "guys" POV.  Especially from a guy like me who didnt start out Trad.
(09-03-2012, 02:05 PM)JayneK Wrote: So part of me wants to encourage him to get involved in activities where he can meet women with strong Catholic faith and part of me has serious misgivings about doing this.  What do you all think?

You can try to nudge him in the right direction, and of course pray, but he's a grown man and he makes his own decisions. Ultimately, he will have to decide to take the Faith seriously (thus influencing his life) or not.

You shouldn't worry too much.
Twenty-six year-olds are grown men these days?  Dubito.
(09-07-2012, 12:46 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: Twenty-six year-olds are grown men these days?  Dubito.

Should we make it 30?
(09-07-2012, 12:46 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: Twenty-six year-olds are grown men these days?  Dubito.

This is a major part of what is going on, as orate touched on in her post.  This is a culture-wide phenomenon, not just something with my son.  Biological maturity has been greatly separated from social/spiritual maturity.
All my children know that if they marry, then I want them to marry a Catholic, because if I have any unbaptized grandchildren, I'll be just sick over that. And that will kill me.  :grin: Lay in a little Catholic guilt; it's good for them!  :LOL:
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton