Fr. Groeschel says God is not Catholic, what say all of you?
Father Groeschel claiming on EWTN that God is not Catholic,,,

I really don't see what's so scandalous about the statement that God is not Catholic. "God is God" - just like he said.
(09-04-2012, 01:01 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I really don't see what's so scandalous about the statement that God is not Catholic. "God is God" - just like he said.

He has a history of indifferentist remarks, so I personally find it concerning.  Did He say God is not Catholic but then to avoid misunderstanding clarify that the Catholic Church is the one true Church and outside of the Church there is no salvation?
(09-04-2012, 01:11 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 01:01 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I really don't see what's so scandalous about the statement that God is not Catholic. "God is God" - just like he said.

He has a history of indifferentist remarks, so I personally find it concerning.  Did He say God is not Catholic but then to avoid misunderstanding clarify that the Catholic Church is the one true Church and outside of the Church there is no salvation?

Exactly.
(09-04-2012, 01:12 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 01:11 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:

Exactly.
Seconded.
What? He is right just as St. Thomas Aquinas would say God has no genus therefore he can not be confined to human understanding or limitations. God is not bound by the Sacraments. Just as God is not Holy for he makes things Holy. Here is another shocker he is not a Christian either for that would imply that he follows something or someone.
This depends on why he said it. If he said it in a relativistic or indifferentism sense, it's wrong.
(09-04-2012, 01:34 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: What? He is right just as St. Thomas Aquinas would say God has no genus therefore he can not be confined to human understanding or limitations. God is not bound by the Sacraments. Just as God is not Holy for he makes things Holy. Here is another shocker he is not a Christian either for that would imply that he follows something or someone.

But we do say God is Holy.  So if by saying God is not Holy you mean he is beyond the holiness of created things, yes. If by the same statement you mean to contradict the Scriptures when they call God Holy, then no.

Also, see my first comment above.  You can argue the statement, but don't forget the context.  Fr. Groeschel very likely means "God is not Catholic, he is just fine with you being Jewish or whatever you are" -- this is not a knee-jerk reaction on my part but based upon listening to a lot of Fr. Groeschel (I was a big fan in my pre-trad days).
Our Lord Jesus Christ, God the Word incarnate, is the Head of the Catholic Church, which is also His Body.

To deny that God is Catholic is to deny the Incarnation and the nature of the Church.
Eeny-Meeny-Chili-beanies, poof ! You can't read his mind and the motive is not clear and you are asserting that you can read his mind.

God isn't Catholic, Jewish, Protestant, or Mohammedan, he said I am who am.

If in his heart he is denying that the Catholic Church is the One, True Faith, then when he passes, Jesus will judge. What we should do is avoid him because his words are questionable not once but over and over. We also shouldn't be heresy hunting scandal to bolster our preconceived notions and smile at all that agree.

tim