Fr. Groeschel says God is not Catholic, what say all of you?
(09-04-2012, 12:59 PM)faith3faith Wrote: Father Groeschel claiming on EWTN that God is not Catholic,,,

Does God worship God? Does God need the sacraments?

(09-04-2012, 01:53 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: Our Lord Jesus Christ, God the Word incarnate, is the Head of the Catholic Church, which is also His Body.

To deny that God is Catholic is to deny the Incarnation and the nature of the Church.

Jesus was Jewish too, and Jesus is God, but we don't say God is Jewish.

(09-04-2012, 02:20 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 01:53 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: Our Lord Jesus Christ, God the Word incarnate, is the Head of the Catholic Church, which is also His Body.

To deny that God is Catholic is to deny the Incarnation and the nature of the Church.

Is Judaism His Body?
(09-04-2012, 02:02 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 12:59 PM)faith3faith Wrote: Father Groeschel claiming on EWTN that God is not Catholic,,,

Does God worship God?

Dom Columba Marmion writes in Christ, the Life of the Soul that this was indeed one of the reasons for the Incarnation.

Again, it comes down to the Incarnation.  It really matters.  It is altogether unique.  It changes everything.
(09-04-2012, 02:55 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 02:20 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:

Is Judaism His Body?

Is the Church as "bride" His Body? It's a metaphor, Impy. I know we're dealing with semantics here, but the Church has never said "God is Catholic." No Saint or Church Father, that I know of, ever said such a thing. And if they did, it still sounds dumb.
Almighty God is "I am who am" but He chose to become man. Christ, the God-man, is the Head of the His Mystical Body;  this is a mystical reality but it is real, not a mere analogy.  The Catholic Church IS the Mystical Body of Christ  (read Pope Pius XII's Mystici Corporis Christi).  How can "I am who am" become man - it seems impossible, but it is true.  How can "I am who am" become the Head of the Church - again it seems impossible but again it is true.  The Head of a body is surely a part of that body.
(09-04-2012, 03:24 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: Is the Church as "bride" His Body? It's a metaphor, Impy. I know we're dealing with semantics here, but the Church has never said "God is Catholic." No Saint or Church Father, that I know of, ever said such a thing. And if they did, it still sounds dumb.

I'm more concerned about the motives of those who make a point of saying that God is not Catholic.  But if they want to put the question in those terms, I will engage them.

I insist on the Incarnation and on the mystery of the Church, His Body.  "I am the Way, the Truth and the Life."  "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?"  Consider those words of Our Lord.

In other words, the Catholic Church is -- radically, truly and viscerally -- God's religion.
(09-04-2012, 03:37 PM)Doce Me Wrote: Almighty God is "I am who am" but He chose to become man. Christ, the God-man, is the Head of the His Mystical Body;  this is a mystical reality but it is real, not a mere analogy.  The Catholic Church IS the Mystical Body of Christ  (read Pope Pius XII's Mystici Corporis Christi).  How can "I am who am" become man - it seems impossible, but it is true.  How can "I am who am" become the Head of the Church - again it seems impossible but again it is true.  The Head of a body is surely a part of that body.

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/pius_x...ti_en.html
I'm ready to assume the best when I read things like this, and I don't disagree with the statement as fact, but I think it's inprudent in today's climate because many Catholics will likely read it and think that universalism or indifference is okay now. People on CAF are coming dangerously close to implying that view right now.
(09-04-2012, 01:58 PM)Tim Wrote: Eeny-Meeny-Chili-beanies, poof ! You can't read his mind and the motive is not clear and you are asserting that you can read his mind.

God isn't Catholic, Jewish, Protestant, or Mohammedan, he said I am who am.

If in his heart he is denying that the Catholic Church is the One, True Faith, then when he passes, Jesus will judge. What we should do is avoid him because his words are questionable not once but over and over. We also shouldn't be heresy hunting scandal to bolster our preconceived notions and smile at all that agree.

tim

No one is saying that his mind can be read.

What people are doing (and rightfully so) is throwing flags at the notion of how this is presented.  By itself the statement "God isn't Catholic" can be perfectly orthodox and true.  

But take that statement said by a priest with a history of *questionable* remarks, coupled with the fact that he is a poster priest for a neo-cat company and the fact that the vast (almost entire) "regular" part of the Church denies a crisis with the liturgy and Church doctrine and spreads anti-Catholic teaching (religious liberty, ecumenism, et al) as if it were Catholic teaching and you've got a different picture.

The very fact that what he means is not clear suggests modernism.  That is the hallmark of the heresy-- an unwillingness or inability to clarify doctrine.  It's the idea that Church teaching is more or less relative and can mean whatever you want it to mean in any given situation-- that it is mutable.  And it is not an idea that is pressed as such, but it is a principle that is furthered by comments that could be Catholic (given the right context) or anti-Catholic (given the right context).

The time for giving the benefit of the doubt is over.  Do we need another 40 years of being fed stones to stop assuming the best of Churchmen?  
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.