Fr. Groeschel says God is not Catholic, what say all of you?
(09-04-2012, 01:53 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: To deny that God is Catholic is to deny the Incarnation and the nature of the Church.

That makes no sense.
(09-04-2012, 01:49 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 01:34 PM)Unum Sint Wrote: What? He is right just as St. Thomas Aquinas would say God has no genus therefore he can not be confined to human understanding or limitations. God is not bound by the Sacraments. Just as God is not Holy for he makes things Holy. Here is another shocker he is not a Christian either for that would imply that he follows something or someone.

But we do say God is Holy.  So if by saying God is not Holy you mean he is beyond the holiness of created things, yes. If by the same statement you mean to contradict the Scriptures when they call God Holy, then no.

Also, see my first comment above.  You can argue the statement, but don't forget the context.  Fr. Groeschel very likely means "God is not Catholic, he is just fine with you being Jewish or whatever you are" -- this is not a knee-jerk reaction on my part but based upon listening to a lot of Fr. Groeschel (I was a big fan in my pre-trad days).

On that I agree with you, however and I do have to bring this up Father Groeschel is not exactly a spring chicken he might of just had an elderly moment and might of forgotten the second part of that. Either way you are right.
(09-04-2012, 04:33 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 01:58 PM)Tim Wrote: Eeny-Meeny-Chili-beanies, poof ! You can't read his mind and the motive is not clear and you are asserting that you can read his mind.

God isn't Catholic, Jewish, Protestant, or Mohammedan, he said I am who am.

If in his heart he is denying that the Catholic Church is the One, True Faith, then when he passes, Jesus will judge. What we should do is avoid him because his words are questionable not once but over and over. We also shouldn't be heresy hunting scandal to bolster our preconceived notions and smile at all that agree.

tim

No one is saying that his mind can be read.

What people are doing (and rightfully so) is throwing flags at the notion of how this is presented.  By itself the statement "God isn't Catholic" can be perfectly orthodox and true.  

But take that statement said by a priest with a history of *questionable* remarks, coupled with the fact that he is a poster priest for a neo-cat company and the fact that the vast (almost entire) "regular" part of the Church denies a crisis with the liturgy and Church doctrine and spreads anti-Catholic teaching (religious liberty, ecumenism, et al) as if it were Catholic teaching and you've got a different picture.

The very fact that what he means is not clear suggests modernism.  That is the hallmark of the heresy-- an unwillingness or inability to clarify doctrine.  It's the idea that Church teaching is more or less relative and can mean whatever you want it to mean in any given situation-- that it is mutable.  And it is not an idea that is pressed as such, but it is a principle that is furthered by comments that could be Catholic (given the right context) or anti-Catholic (given the right context).

The time for giving the benefit of the doubt is over.  Do we need another 40 years of being fed stones to stop assuming the best of Churchmen?  
This is one of the best posts in any thread which I have read in some time.
Tim this was what Father Feeney was worried about , the attitude Of Father Groeschel which today is very widespread and back in 1950 Father Feeney saw it developing in the Archdiocesan and Jesuit seminaries in Boston where he taught.
(09-04-2012, 08:06 PM)salus Wrote: Tim this was what Father Feeney was worried about , the attitude Of Father Groeschel which today is very widespread and back in 1950 Father Feeney saw it developing in the Archdiocesan and Jesuit seminaries in Boston where he taught.

That's true. And he also self-corrected. Father Feeney himself was infected by the Jesuits early on.
(09-04-2012, 08:06 PM)salus Wrote: ... this was what Father Feeney was worried about , the attitude Of Father Groeschel which today is very widespread and back in 1950 Father Feeney saw it developing in the Archdiocesan and Jesuit seminaries in Boston where he taught.

I agree with you salus. Apparently Groeschel rejected the infallible dogmatic teaching ,"outside the church there is no salvation". Apparently EWTN also rejects that teaching.

...................................    God is Catholic    ...................................

In fact, God is more Catholic than all of the members of the Church combined. Remember that God is the head of his Church(the body of christ), and the head is part of the body.  Plus, is not Jesus the high priest within the Church? So how can Jesus be the high priest within the Catholic Church without being Catholic? Also, Jesus asked Saul(saint Paul), "why do you persecute me?". It was the Church that Saul(saint Paul) was persecuting. So Jesus equates himself with the Church itself,, not the baptist church, not the Lutheran church, not the Mormon church, but only the Holy Catholic Church. So now do all of you see that God is indeed Catholic?
Fr. Groeschel also has EWTN broadcasts on youtube that completely distort the Fatima message.
(09-04-2012, 01:01 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote: I really don't see what's so scandalous about the statement that God is not Catholic. "God is God" - just like he said.

Of course God is God and the Creator of all that is seen and unseen.  But I ask are there any other than Catholics in the presence of the Beatific Vision, such as Muslims, Jews, Protestants of every shade and color?  He founded the Church Universal which St. Ignatius of Antioch named it "Catholic" for the salvation of all those who seek to be received in her.  There is no salvation outside this Church.
(09-04-2012, 02:20 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(09-04-2012, 01:53 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: Our Lord Jesus Christ, God the Word incarnate, is the Head of the Catholic Church, which is also His Body.

To deny that God is Catholic is to deny the Incarnation and the nature of the Church.

Jesus was Jewish too, and Jesus is God, but we don't say God is Jewish.

Jesus was a Jew, but did He practice Judaism or Christianity?  Did He come to reemphasize Judaism, or to bring about Talmudic Judaism?  Or did His death bring about the destruction of the Jewish temple?  Didn't he found THE Christian Church?
I think it's just as well that he resigned.