Are Snails Meat?
Well, are they?

(In terms of "can I eat them on Friday?")
Snails are invertebrates. My guess is they're not meat. Seafood would be closest. imo
(09-05-2012, 07:07 AM)Starry Plough Wrote: Snails are invertebrates. My guess is they're not meat. Seafood would be closest. imo

I hope you're right.

:eats:
(09-05-2012, 06:56 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: Well, are they?
It is an animal, so yes, in the broadest sense of the word.

Quote:(In terms of "can I eat them on Friday?")

The general rule, as far as I know, is that warm blooded creatures are "meat" for the purposes of the Church.

Snails are therefore permitted, however, please check with your spiritual director before taking on extreme penances.
(09-05-2012, 07:07 AM)Starry Plough Wrote: Snails are invertebrates. My guess is they're not meat. Seafood would be closest. imo

All fish are vertebrates.

(09-05-2012, 09:00 AM)Rosarium Wrote: Snails are therefore permitted, however, please check with your spiritual director before taking on extreme penances.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
(09-05-2012, 09:00 AM)Rosarium Wrote:

And your point would be....?
(09-05-2012, 11:10 AM)Starry Plough Wrote:
(09-05-2012, 09:00 AM)Rosarium Wrote:

And your point would be....?

I think his point is this. If you mention that snails are invertebrates (true) and then conclude that makes them not meat and closer to seafood, it sounds like assumed second premise is that seafood is invertebrate and meat is vertebrate.  Therefore snails are closer to seafood than meat.  But this second premise is false. Some seafood is vertebrate (e.g. fish) other seafood isn't (e.g. crustaceans).

The real reason snails are probably okay on a Friday isn't because they are invertebrates but because they are cold-blooded.  They are not warm-blooded like mammals and birds, both of which are not allowed.  Alligator is allowed on Friday because it's cold-blooded.
My favorite food!
I don't know but I can tell you they aren't kosher.