Are Snails Meat?
(09-05-2012, 02:00 PM)JayneK Wrote: I don't know but I can tell you they aren't kosher. 

Never knew that ... do they come under the same prohibition as shellfish? Why aren't they kosher?
(09-05-2012, 02:27 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(09-05-2012, 02:00 PM)JayneK Wrote: I don't know but I can tell you they aren't kosher. 

Never knew that ... do they come under the same prohibition as shellfish? Why aren't they kosher?

The real reason is that my mother told me.  :)
However, I looked it up and this comes from Lev 11:41, 42 "Every creature that moves along the ground is to be regarded as unclean; it is not to be eaten. You are not to eat any creature that moves along the ground, whether it moves on its belly or walks on all fours or on many feet; it is unclean."

The prohibition against shellfish is in verses 9,10 "“‘Of all the creatures living in the water of the seas and the streams you may eat any that have fins and scales. But all creatures in the seas or streams that do not have fins and scales—whether among all the swarming things or among all the other living creatures in the water—you are to regard as unclean. "
(09-05-2012, 09:00 AM)Rosarium Wrote: Snails are therefore permitted, however, please check with your spiritual director before taking on extreme penances.

You mean I can have escargot instead of penance?  What a country!
(09-05-2012, 09:00 AM)Rosarium Wrote: Snails are therefore permitted, however, please check with your spiritual director before taking on extreme penances.

Hahahaha.
Do they come from the water? ??? ??? ???
A snail goes to a used car lot to buy a car. The sales person asks, "What are you looking for in a car?"

The snail says, "I want a really fast car with big side doors so I can write a huge "S" on each door."

The salesman says, "That's a unusual request, may I ask why?"

"Because when I drive through town I want people to say, "Look at that S-Car-Go!"
:doh:
Paddy was overjoyed that he was to become a father for the first time. Jumping with joy, he couldn't wait to go out and celebrate with his pals. But first he must tend to the needs of his lovely wife Maureen.

'Now Molly me darling, I'm just popping along the road for a few minutes. Is there anything you'd like while I'm out?'

'Yes Paddy,' said Maureen. 'I'd like you to buy me some snails.  For some strange reason I've a craving to eat them smoothered in garlic butter. So don't be long now'

I'll be back before y' know it,' promised Paddy, full of good intentions.

Two hours later, bag of snails in hand, Paddy was still propping up Murphy's bar and wetting the baby's head for the umpteenth time. Finally he decided to do the right thing and bade farewell to his pals and stumbled out into the night. Weaving from side to side, he eventually reached his house and tottered up towards the door. Fumbling to get the door keys out of his pocket, he dropped the bag of snails and it split open on the step scattering snails everywhere.

The noise woke Maureen who opened the bedroom window and shouted down:

'What's going on? And where have you been all this time?'

Paddy looked down at the snails, clapped his hands and said:

'Come on lads - we're nearly home!'
Paddy's in trouble when Maureen finds out about Kate.