Are Snails Meat?
Fixed.
They are cold blooded, so they aren't considered meat. Why you would want to eat such a thing is beyond me.

What's next OC? Balut? :LOL:
(09-06-2012, 08:15 AM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: They are cold blooded, so they aren't considered meat. Why you would want to eat such a thing is beyond me.

I knew a couple of French Traditionalist ladies who lived together in Nice back in the early 1990s.  I'd fly down there and visit them from time to time.  One of their fathers had a small-holding in Burgandy and would collect snails and keep them on a large tray of bread flour for a week which had the effect of fattening them up and purging their guts at the same time so you could eat them without risk of poisoning.  They were big mothers, about the size of an egg and very tasty drowning in garlic butter.

I've eaten a lot of weird stuff however.  Dog, Cat, Locust, Snake, Kangaroo, Crocodile, Sheep's eyes, brain, fish eggs, sea cucumber.  I'm like Bear Grylls in that sense.  If someone else eats it I'll give it a go.

Snails are OK, but I'd swap them for a serving of caviar, black or red,  Snails taste like a cross between prawns and chicken.  Where the sucker sticks to the ground they can be a bit tough though for some reason those Burgandy snails were not.
(09-06-2012, 08:40 AM)ggreg Wrote: Where the sucker sticks to the ground they can be a bit tough though for some reason those Burgandy snails were not.

That is called a "foot". It is more muscular.

Maybe those French snails took the bus more, or were Tour snails.