Faithful Nuns
(09-06-2012, 10:44 AM)verenaerin Wrote:
(09-06-2012, 01:01 AM)rbjmartin Wrote: The Carmel of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph in Valparaiso, NE is rock solid. They were established in 2000 and they are working on their third foundation. They established a daughter house in Elysburg, PA in 2009, and they just started a second daughter house in Canyon, CA. And they are likely to start a fourth very soon, as the mother house in Valparaiso is still well over the limit for a Carmel (it is supposed to only be 21 nuns, but they are allowed to exceed that number if they plan on sending some out to a new foundation; there are currently nearly 40).

This line of Carmelites is thoroughly traditional. Ever since their foundation in Nebraska, they have had the traditional Mass celebrated for them daily and they recite the traditional office. They also live a strict, traditional observance of the Carmelite rule. My understanding is that the mother superior in Valparaiso came from a Carmel in Mexico which had suffered the anti-Catholic persecutions in Mexico.

I can attest to the holiness and beauty of these nuns. There monastery is about 14 miles from here. They have a resident FSSP priest who offers daily Mass. They have talks, missions, and special celebrations on feast days. Priests also go there to learn the TLM. As a community we are all learning how to work together. They have no income, so we need to either donate food or money. There is also the responsibility of taking care of the grounds.

One thing that is a big hit is their All Saints Day party. All the kids come dressed as saints and participate in games. They then go over to the monastery to see the nuns and explain their costumes. The nuns also sang at my son's baptism. And one last thing, their Christmas Midnight Mass this past year was so beautiful and sublime, it still edifies my soul to l think about it. It was as close to Heaven as I have ever come. It is something to be experienced.

This is a great story.  Thanks for sharing!
(09-06-2012, 01:59 AM)Poche Wrote: Who are these 'faithful nuns' faithful to?
Good question.
(09-06-2012, 12:44 PM)Cooler King Wrote:
Good question.

I am looking for the antithesis of LCWR.  Specifically, nuns faithful to Catholic dogma...all of it. 

The reason I ask is because I was approached by someone that is just starting to learn of the VII disasters and they told me their grandchildren were taught by carmelite nuns.  I suppose that is a good thing, but I really don't know much about them.  All my cousins went to Catholic schools taught by nuns and all 14 (ages 35-41) are now either atheist or non-practicing catholics.  I've learned the need to investigate faithfulness rather than blindly trust nuns or priests. 

Sad state we are in.
(09-06-2012, 01:54 PM)onosurf Wrote:
(09-06-2012, 12:44 PM)Cooler King Wrote:
Good question.

I am looking for the antithesis of LCWR.  Specifically, nuns faithful to Catholic dogma...all of it. 

The reason I ask is because I was approached by someone that is just starting to learn of the VII disasters and they told me their grandchildren were taught by carmelite nuns.  I suppose that is a good thing, but I really don't know much about them.  All my cousins went to Catholic schools taught by nuns and all 14 (ages 35-41) are now either atheist or non-practicing catholics.   I've learned the need to investigate faithfulness rather than blindly trust nuns or priests. 

Sad state we are in.

It seems odd that they would be taught by Carmilite nuns since they are cloistered. My mother was taught by nuns and graduated HS in 66. She had a great, rock solid education. I had some nuns in my school growing up. They were older and of the happy clappy sort, except for a few.