Sedevacantist Sisters Reunite With Church
(09-06-2012, 02:56 PM)iona_scribe Wrote:
(09-06-2012, 02:28 PM)Walty Wrote: Norbertines saying the TLM!?
:O

Oh, haha, I forgot that the Norbertines in Europe tend to be quite liberal. The ones in California are quite traditional.  :grin:

The ones in Green Bay are pretty bad too.  I have one friend who is a novitiate, however, who hopes that the tide will turn with the next generation.
:chleader: :chleader: :chleader: :nun: :nun: :nun: :crucifix: :crucifix: :nun: :nun: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :metal: :metal: :villagepeeps: :villagepeeps: :villagepeeps:
This happened back in 2007, so not sure why it is relevant now other than Cooler King's obvious prejudice against Sedevacantists and Sedevacantism.

(09-06-2012, 03:23 PM)Freudentaumel Wrote: They had never made an informed choice to join sedevacantism. They had been brought up in it, mostly in the cult of Schuckhardt.
They saw footage of pope Benedict's installment and were quite surprised that there were no naked Go-Go dancers during the mass. Also they met some Missionaries of Charity and were surprised that they were faithful Catholics and not sacrificing babies for Baal. So they decided the Church was not quite what they had been told.

This complete BS. As Old Man says there are always two sides to every story. Schuckhardt has been gone from CMRI since 1984, so you obviously don't know what you are talking about.
I worry about these sisters.
I attend the sspx, but lately started a job at a NO high school.
after being away from the Novus Ordo system for so long I am totally horrified at the religious practices here.
sentimental hogwash, lack of respect for Our Lord in the Eurcharist, no doctrinal defense of the faith
pure pablum.

I hope the sisters don't attend the Novus Ordo.
(09-07-2012, 03:06 PM)Thomas58 Wrote: This happened back in 2007, so not sure why it is relevant now other than Cooler King's obvious prejudice against Sedevacantists and Sedevacantism.

(09-06-2012, 03:23 PM)Freudentaumel Wrote: They had never made an informed choice to join sedevacantism. They had been brought up in it, mostly in the cult of Schuckhardt.
They saw footage of pope Benedict's installment and were quite surprised that there were no naked Go-Go dancers during the mass. Also they met some Missionaries of Charity and were surprised that they were faithful Catholics and not sacrificing babies for Baal. So they decided the Church was not quite what they had been told.

This complete BS. As Old Man says there are always two sides to every story. Schuckhardt has been gone from CMRI since 1984, so you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

It could be that the OP has just now become aware of this story (though there was a post about it at the time).  As has been said "there are always two sides to every story", so perhaps one should not be too quick to assign motives to a poster.

I live in the Diocese of Spokane where this occured, and I am acquainted with one of the priests who assisted the sisters when they came to the diocese from Mount St. Michael's.  They reside at our Immacualte Heart Retreat House and are very involved in the retreat apostolate.  I do not know if they attend Mass according to the 1962 Missal, the 1969 Missal, or both. They do wear a traditonal habit.

I think it is safe to assume that most of these nuns were raised in sedevacantist families, as otherwise it would be unusual for them to take profession with the CMRI.  When a group of them chose to "return to Rome" (I'm not meaning to make a statement, I don't know how else to word it) there were some elements of human poignancy.  Bishop Mark Pivarunas, CMRI issued a letter saying that no member of their congregation would be expelled (i.e., put out on the street).  Those sisters who did not subscribe to the theological position of the CMRI would not teach or be engaged in a public ministry, but would be allowed to continue to live in the community if they so chose.  The sisters who moved from the Mount to Immaculate Heart (with literally only the "habits on their back") immediately set about sewing new habits so they could return the clothes they left with to their former community.

Mount St. Michael's is the former Scholasticat of the Oregon Province of the Society of Jesus.  I'm sure there was some consternation when Bishop Schuckhardt purchased the property in a blind transaction.  Yet recently when the CMRI produced a history of the Mount (and the Catholic evangelization of northeastern WA and northern ID by the Jesuits) the Province opened their archives for the research.  The Province has also given or leant photographs for the historical displays at The Mount.  I believe some of the sisters, in preperation to be teachers, have and perhaps still do take classes at Gonzaga University.  One migh wonder if these associations have contributed to some of the sisters coming to the diocese, but I don't know.
The Norbertines here in Southern California are pretty much traditionalists, with the exception of a few past events, such as the two gay parents who enrolled their child in a Catholic school just to show off their life style. Other than that they have been great. The Norbertines celebrated my Nuptial mass at Sts Peter & Paul in Wilmington, CA. Father Hugh Barbour (head of St. Michael's Abbey) put me in contact with a priest capable of performing the TLM very quickly. The Norbertines also released a few chant CDs as well. Great voices!
Mike,

I had heard that Bp. Pivarunas offered to pay for the room and board of sisters who were willing to privately disagree with the CMRI's official stance, but I didn't want to post it since I considered it hearsay.

From some of the posts on this thread, one might think that the mean, old cult leader Bp. P. threw out the poor, helpless nuns in the middle of the night.
(09-07-2012, 06:43 PM)Phillipus Iacobus Wrote: Mike,

I had heard that Bp. Pivarunas offered to pay for the room and board of sisters who were willing to privately disagree with the CMRI's official stance, but I didn't want to post it since I considered it hearsay.

From some of the posts on this thread, one might think that the mean, old cult leader Bp. P. threw out the poor, helpless nuns in the middle of the night.

That letter from Bishp Pivarunas use to be posted on the CMRI web site but I don't see it there now.  I was recalling it from memory in my post.  What I don't know is if it was issued when some of the sisters had already left, or if it was written earlier when some of the sisters expressed their doubts about the CMRI's theological position regarding the Chair of Peter.  As I recall the Bishop stated what the CMRI position was and asked that all members of the Congregation sign a statement affirming the CMRI position.  Those who choose not to sign the statement could remain in the community but would not be allowed to teach.  I believe there was a paragraph saying that while they remained in the community they were expected to not publicly dissent from the CMRI position (i.e. "willing to privately disagree").
Here is the letter that you speak of, I believe.  http://www.cmri.org/02-sisters-letter.html
It has been a while since I have read the letter.  Whatever side of the fence one is on, as put forth in the letter, if you are in a religous organisation, you really need to be on the same page, one way or the other.  That, or else conflict will ensue.
  You can be a laymen and assist at a Mass of a place where you do not agree on this issue, but to be a religous or priest associated with them can be problematic.
  Bp Pivarunas, as he indicates in the letter, is not a micormanager.  He does have trust in the men at the various places.  Pray they persevere.

Joe