Converts at trad parishes
That's what I thought. I disagree. Carry on.

tim
(09-09-2012, 10:39 AM)onosurf Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 09:55 AM)Aragon Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 09:42 AM)Tim Wrote: Not to derail but by conversion do you mean from NO to trad ?

tim

No. Non-Catholic to Catholic. I don't consider switching Masses as a conversion.

I do.  In fact, that conversion may be harder than non-believer or protestant to TLM.

This.
(09-09-2012, 10:39 AM)onosurf Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 09:55 AM)Aragon Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 09:42 AM)Tim Wrote: Not to derail but by conversion do you mean from NO to trad ?

tim

No. Non-Catholic to Catholic. I don't consider switching Masses as a conversion.

I do.  In fact, that conversion may be harder than non-believer or protestant to TLM.
Not necessarily. I was baptized Catholic but raised as a Protestant from infancy. It took me twenty-five years to convert from Protestant to (NO) Catholic and six months to "convert" from the Novus Ordo to the Latin Mass. The majority of trads I've met at diocesan and SSPX parishes were NO Catholics in their previous liturgical lives.  We all must've had our work cut out for us!
(09-09-2012, 09:47 AM)salus Wrote: Over 700 parishoners at the FSSP parish in Sacramento

Yeah, Sacramento has the largest FSSP parish in the U.S.  Fr. McNeely was just in town (Lincoln) for his sister's wedding this past week, and I got to sit down and have some Famous Daves with him and a couple other friends.  St. Stephen's is lucky to have him.
(09-09-2012, 10:50 PM)HuskerTom Wrote: Yeah, Sacramento has the largest FSSP parish in the U.S.  Fr. McNeely was just in town (Lincoln) for his sister's wedding this past week, and I got to sit down and have some Famous Daves with him and a couple other friends.  St. Stephen's is lucky to have him.

I have a friend who attended that, and I saw a couple of video clips that he took on his smart phone or whatever. That wedding was huge.
(09-09-2012, 10:56 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(09-09-2012, 10:50 PM)HuskerTom Wrote: Yeah, Sacramento has the largest FSSP parish in the U.S.  Fr. McNeely was just in town (Lincoln) for his sister's wedding this past week, and I got to sit down and have some Famous Daves with him and a couple other friends.  St. Stephen's is lucky to have him.

I have a friend who attended that, and I saw a couple of video clips that he took on his smart phone or whatever. That wedding was huge.

Yeah, the McNeelys are well known in the area and have lots of friends.  They host bishops and priests at their home frequently (I think they've had Cardinals there as well).  Heck, if you go to the Watering Hole in downtown Lincoln and order wings "how Dr. McNeely orders them", they'll bring you the best tasting wings you've ever had.

It's just too bad  the wedding date was the same day as Husker football's home opener (both in Lincoln).  Not only was traffic bad in Lincoln that day, but the friend I go to Husker games with (he has season tickets) ended up going to the wedding instead of the game.  First home game I've had to watch on TV in years.  :'(
(09-09-2012, 03:31 AM)Aragon Wrote: How many conversions a year does your traditional parish see? At mine we've had at least 8 that I know of in the last 12 months - most of them in their early twenties too. Is this common for traditional groups? Also, is your parish FSSP/SSPX/Diocese/etc?

I have no numbers, but I see people converting or returning to the Church or becoming more focused on their spiritual life through my parish rather frequently. I am not one to approach people and ask questions, so I do not know for sure, but I hear others talk.

It also seems that a man/woman will bring a spouse or potential spouse as well, which is likely a case of some sort of conversion.
(09-09-2012, 11:20 PM)HuskerTom Wrote: It's just too bad  the wedding date was the same day as Husker football's home opener (both in Lincoln).  Not only was traffic bad in Lincoln that day, but the friend I go to Husker games with (he has season tickets) ended up going to the wedding instead of the game.  First home game I've had to watch on TV in years.   :'(

You weren't invited?

If I get married, I'd have it open-invitation to all FE's and other trad friends. I suppose a family like the McNeelys would have to worry about running out of space in the church, though.

The medieval tradition, rather than use invitations, was to have town criers summon as many people as humanly possible, and which is probably a big reason why outdoor weddings were so popular then. (A church wedding would be done outside under the portal of the church, followed by Mass inside.)
Our archdiocese averages around 2000 mor eor less every year.
(09-09-2012, 11:30 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: You weren't invited?

If I get married, I'd have it open-invitation to all FE's and other trad friends. I suppose a family like the McNeelys would have to worry about running out of space in the church, though.

The medieval tradition, rather than use invitations, was to have town criers summon as many people as humanly possible, and which is probably a big reason why outdoor weddings were so popular then. (A church wedding would be done outside under the portal of the church, followed by Mass inside.)
Nope, no invite, but St. Francis is a pretty small church, and as you said from the pics you saw, it was already pretty packed.  I was closer friends with Fr. McNeely than with Angela, who got married, so I think most of the people invited were closer to her and to the groom.

That's interesting about the medieval tradition, though I can't imagine having had my wedding outdoors, or having a bunch of people there that I hardly know.  I guess we're just too indoctrinated in our culture.

I did attend an outdoor Renaissance Festival-esque wedding once, though.  My brother-in-law is into Ren Faires, and he invited us to see his friends (the King and Queen) get married in full garb.  Very interesting experience that was.