Traditional Catholic love and loyalty toward the Pope
On the First Friday of this month, I was struck by a line in the traditional Act of Reparation to the Sacred Heart of Jesus:
We wish also to make amends for the insults to which Thy Vicar on earth and Thy priests are subjected

While I prayed this with all my heart, I also noticed a certain irony.  In my personal experience, I most often encounter insults to Christ's Vicar and His priests here on this forum.  In the name of traditional Catholicism, some here make the sort of insults and attacks that our ancestors in faith would have made acts of reparation for.

I have also recently become interested in the traditional Abjuration of Heresy, that used to be said by converts on entering the Church.  At the advice of my spiritual director, I have adopted this as a personal devotion.  As a convert, I find much in it that touches me deeply.  One line that stood out when I last read it was:

I promise and swear true obedience to the Roman Pontiff, successor of St. Peter, the prince of the apostles and vicar of Jesus Christ.

For our ancestors in faith, one of the key identifying characteristics of being Catholic was obedience to the Pope.  Yet for many here, their attitude to the Pope is marked by hostility and hyper-criticism.  In the name of tradition, they display an attitude that is foreign to our tradition.  Something is profoundly wrong with this attitude.

Other posters here display the love toward the Pope that I associate with devout and holy people of the past.  Their understanding of being a traditional Catholic actually matches traditional Catholic behaviour.  I suspect these forum members are as troubled as I am by the negativity shown toward our Holy Father.  I have been thinking that I should make acts of reparation when I see such things here.  Perhaps, others who feel as I do would care to join me. 
I feel the same as you do and will do the same.
(09-15-2012, 02:33 PM)JayneK Wrote: I promise and swear true obedience to the Roman Pontiff, successor of St. Peter, the prince of the apostles and vicar of Jesus Christ.

Amen. I so promise and swear. ¡Viva Cristo Rey!

I know that it is very troubling, Jayne, and many things here are a scandal and a danger to the faithful. What we must keep in mind is that loyalty and love for the Pope is a hallmark of being Catholic. Or perhaps more simply: those who speak in bitterness and disloyalty against the Pope are not actually Catholics.

What greater evidence of schism is there than rejection of the Chair of Peter? It's not a confusing situation at all. Many here claim to be Catholic but are not. Many have set up Bishop Williamson as their Pope (I almost feel sorry for the man! Likely they'll turn on him too, someday). Man cannot serve two masters.

In more civilized times, we could muster a crusade and an inquisition against such saboteurs. Nowadays they can broadcast their treason to the four corners of the Earth and we must just sit and listen to it.
(09-15-2012, 03:22 PM)Adeodatus01 Wrote: In more civilized times, we could muster a crusade and an inquisition against such saboteurs. Nowadays they can broadcast their treason to the four corners of the Earth and we must just sit and listen to it.

We can pray.  Prayer makes a difference.
I am sorry when I see those kinds of comments bandied about anywhere, and moreso here because as a relative newcomer to tradition I look to many fishies for an example of how to live the Faith of our fathers.

I don't feel it's my place to say much about the Holy Father, either way which is not a cop out. I won't criticize him, but these days when papal writings seem so much less clear than those of the past, I am not qualified to be an apologist, either. I just don't have the time to the theology it takes to make these things make sense.

Also, Adeodatus, I think you're being too dramatic my friend. People rant on the Internet. In more civilized times we would have barroom brawls instead of chat room fights. Inquisitions and Crusades ain't in it.

The crisis will end when the holy father (Benedict XVI or a future pope) is strong enough to end it. Catholics don't deserve for it to end yet, we (in the larger sense, not FE) have earned it.

I think at the end of the day, there are a lot of tired Catholics here who want to be obedient to the Holy Father (yes, a few who don't), but are discouraged. My rosary will be for all of us today.

The majority of posters in the Tank hate the Pope.  They're essentially no different from High Church Anglicans except the HCA would be more respectful.  I wish they would stop denying it and just state it point blank.  They do not conduct themselves as a Catholic should.  No Catholic has the right to spew bile and vile slander on the Holy Father or on any Churchman for that matter.
(09-15-2012, 03:32 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(09-15-2012, 03:22 PM)Adeodatus01 Wrote: In more civilized times, we could muster a crusade and an inquisition against such saboteurs. Nowadays they can broadcast their treason to the four corners of the Earth and we must just sit and listen to it.

We can pray.  Prayer makes a difference.

When someone talks bad about my Holy Father, most days I'd rather see the bastard run through than say a prayer. The last thing I'm in the mood to do is pray when I'm seeing red. It's so frustrating because an internet post is able to be so cowardly: they can bash the Vicar of Christ and then scuttle off to their little nests with impunity.

It's ironic that people complain about effeminacy and then comport themselves in an effeminate mode, sitting around and backbiting like (no offense) a bunch of women!

(09-15-2012, 03:58 PM)Adeodatus01 Wrote: When someone talks bad about my Holy Father, most days I'd rather see the bastard run through than say a prayer. The last thing I'm in the mood to do is pray when I'm seeing red. It's so frustrating because an internet post is able to be so cowardly: they can bash the Vicar of Christ and then scuttle off to their little nests with impunity.

I have the impression from various spiritual writers that praying because we know we ought is more meritorious praying because we are in the mood. 
(09-15-2012, 03:58 PM)Adeodatus01 Wrote: When someone talks bad about my Holy Father, most days I'd rather see the bastard run through than say a prayer. The last thing I'm in the mood to do is pray when I'm seeing red. It's so frustrating because an internet post is able to be so cowardly: they can bash the Vicar of Christ and then scuttle off to their little nests with impunity.

It's ironic that people complain about effeminacy and then comport themselves in an effeminate mode, sitting around and backbiting like (no offense) a bunch of women!

You're right, expressing anger on the Internet is so safe that its often the coward's recourse. Yet we all do it from time to time.

Your words above (my bold) are in the same vein, you know.

Now, Don Quixote. That guy puts us to shame. He is polite online but tackles blasphemers in real life (anyone remember that story?  :LOL: Awesome.)
Richard, this place says it's a Catholic site but it's not. It's a scandal. A large clique here do not act like men and they certainly don't act like Catholics. They insult and smear and calumniate against the Holy Father! What is a Catholic man supposed to do, sit and play pattycake with them? It's DISGUSTING.

Someone here has to say something that in some way mitigates the grave sin of scandal being perpetrated on this forum!