about buying gold
I am curious about buying gold.
I talked to my "financial advisor" aka overseer, about investments and asked about gold. He went on about how it is a risky investment and that if i buy it, I have to sign a bunch of waivers etc because it is not recommended.
Fine fine, but two things make me confused:
-according to graphs, gold seems to always go up and rarely go down and maintains value over time
-there seems to be an expansion of small 'gold-buying' outlets popping up here and there. I see them in malls now and adverstising on local radio.

Why would gold be so risky an investment, yet buyers are everywhere now?

Something weird is going on....no?
(09-17-2012, 01:05 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: Why would gold be so risky an investment, yet buyers are everywhere now?

People are making money by selling gold, not buying it.

What do the people pushing gold want? Dollars.

It is big business to sell gold, and they are using people's fears to sell it.
Commodities in general are very volatile investments, but that doesn't make them any "riskier" than common stock.  Gold is generally lumped in with commodities by most in the financial industry, who disregard gold's importance as money. 

Most financial advisers are just playing by an industry and government approved training playbook, so make of that what you will.  Of the financial people I respect, I've heard opinions of where gold should be anywhere from 5-100% of your investment portfolio.

I think the best way to acquire gold is to buy pure gold coins on a bi monthly basis, budget permitting.  It should not be more than 6% above the spot price.  Buying it bits at a time negates the volatility factor.
QE3 guarantees inflation, and there is no better hedge against inflation than gold.

As people lose confidence in the dollar and the euro, there is no alternative currency to put their confidence in. All that's left is gold. Gold is money. Just ask the Russians, the Chinese, and the Indians.

I wouldn't bother buying gold through your broker or financial adviser. Buy physical yourself or buy physical that is vaulted overseas (like at the Perth Mint).
(09-17-2012, 04:16 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: . All that's left is gold. Gold is money. Just ask the Russians, the Chinese, and the Indians.
Then why do people sell it for dollars?

(09-17-2012, 04:24 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(09-17-2012, 04:16 PM)rbjmartin Wrote: . All that's left is gold. Gold is money. Just ask the Russians, the Chinese, and the Indians.

To gain a ridiculous profit and then exchange it for other goods. 
(09-17-2012, 04:34 PM)PeterII Wrote:

So, this supports the obtaining of dollars. It is a case of passing the gold around. Whoever gets stuck with the shiny metal better hope that gold is not only currency in itself, but that it is not illegal to own again.
(09-17-2012, 04:38 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(09-17-2012, 04:34 PM)PeterII Wrote:

So, this supports the obtaining of dollars. It is a case of passing the gold around. Whoever gets stuck with the shiny metal better hope that gold is not only currency in itself, but that it is not illegal to own again.

You missed the point about gaining profits.  Dollars don't provide profit. 
(09-17-2012, 01:05 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: I am curious about buying gold.
I talked to my "financial advisor" aka overseer, about investments and asked about gold. He went on about how it is a risky investment and that if i buy it, I have to sign a bunch of waivers etc because it is not recommended.
-according to graphs, gold seems to always go up and rarely go down and maintains value over time
-there seems to be an expansion of small 'gold-buying' outlets popping up here and there. I see them in malls now and adverstising on local radio.

When everyone else is buying you should be selling.

Learn to grow your own tobacco or make booze.  Far more useful as a currency than gold since many people will start smoking in a crisis situation.  My friend grows tobacco in a greenhouse in the UK, dries it and prepares it then smokes it in roll ups and in a pipe.  Says it tastes the same as commerical tobacco and has less chemicals too since he adds none.

Today I gave my neighbour a couple of litres of freshly sqeezed Apple Juice.  I made 25 litres yesterday from some Apples we got for free.  He gave me some homemade Jam and Chutney which were very tasty.

Gold will very likely be confiscated.  Your neighbours and "friends" will probably grass you up to the Feds.  In short, if you buy anything like that don't tell anyone.
(09-17-2012, 01:05 PM)winoblue1 Wrote: I am curious about buying gold.

Ditch your advisors advising and buy silver. Make sure you take possession.Do not buy "Paper" silver.Research reputable sellers.Midas resources are good.I just ordered silver from SBSS medallion.
Rosarium doesn't know shit about this issue.