Poll: Do you wear a headcovering (veil, mantilla, hat, etc) at Mass?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Headcovering
My church has universal voluntary head covering. If a woman isn't wearing one, you know she's a visitor.
(09-21-2012, 08:28 AM)Joamy Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 02:31 AM)kayla_veronica Wrote: Yes I wear a head scarf. I'd like a real mantilla but my scarf cost me $3 at Wal-mart, and a nice mantilla would cost me $30.  :LOL:

Thrift shops - one of the manitllas I have cost maybe $2.

That's awesome! I frequent thrift shops but have never seen any at the ones by me.
Back when I was still regularly attending Novus Ordo Masses but had already started head covering, there were only a few other women at my parish who covered their heads.  It began to make a bond between us and we started smiling at each other after Mass and saying hello.  One woman had a mantilla with a picture of Our Lady of Lourdes that I admired and I told her how much I liked it.  One day, totally out of the blue, she gave me one of my own.  I was very touched.
(09-21-2012, 12:00 PM)JayneK Wrote: Back when I was still regularly attending Novus Ordo Masses but had already started head covering, there were only a few other women at my parish who covered their heads.  It began to make a bond between us and we started smiling at each other after Mass and saying hello.  One woman had a mantilla with a picture of Our Lady of Lourdes that I admired and I told her how much I liked it.  One day, totally out of the blue, she gave me one of my own.  I was very touched.

Nice story.
My wife always wears a mantilla or veil in church.

My mother usually wears a hat at Mass.
(09-21-2012, 10:55 AM)kayla_veronica Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 02:31 AM)kayla_veronica Wrote: Yes I wear a head scarf. I'd like a real mantilla but my scarf cost me $3 at Wal-mart, and a nice mantilla would cost me $30.  :LOL:

That's awesome! I frequent thrift shops but have never seen any at the ones by me.

I found mine mixed in with scarves.  I have one particular thrift shop (and not St Vincent's) that seems to have the corner on Catholic stuff.  I've found two beautiful pictures, books, and a mantilla there.  I was there yesterday and they had an Our Lady of Grace statue (no price and too heavy for me to move, though.)
(09-21-2012, 02:01 PM)Joamy Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 10:55 AM)kayla_veronica Wrote:

I found mine mixed in with scarves.  I have one particular thrift shop (and not St Vincent's) that seems to have the corner on Catholic stuff.  I've found two beautiful pictures, books, and a mantilla there.  I was there yesterday and they had an Our Lady of Grace statue (no price and too heavy for me to move, though.)

Nice! I love finding Catholic Pictures at thrift stores. I once found a very large framed poster of Our Lady of Guadalupe about three years ago....that was my best find every. It's 20x24" and was only $15. I've got it hanging in the kitchen.
(09-21-2012, 09:43 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: My church has universal voluntary head covering. If a woman isn't wearing one, you know she's a visitor.

This is kind of what sparked this thread.  I was saying that looking at the percentage of women in headcovering is a decent litmus text for how traditional the parish is.  My friend said no, it isn't.  So I figured hey, I'll do a poll.  :)
(09-23-2012, 03:11 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 09:43 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: My church has universal voluntary head covering. If a woman isn't wearing one, you know she's a visitor.

This is kind of what sparked this thread.  I was saying that looking at the percentage of women in headcovering is a decent litmus text for how traditional the parish is.  My friend said no, it isn't.  So I figured hey, I'll do a poll.   :)

I'd agree with that.
(09-23-2012, 03:11 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote:

This is kind of what sparked this thread.  I was saying that looking at the percentage of women in headcovering is a decent litmus text for how traditional the parish is.  My friend said no, it isn't.  So I figured hey, I'll do a poll.   :)

I agree with your friend.  If I wanted a litmus test, I'd look at line-ups for Confession.