Poll: Do you wear a headcovering (veil, mantilla, hat, etc) at Mass?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Headcovering
(09-23-2012, 09:02 AM)JayneK Wrote:
(09-23-2012, 03:11 AM)OCLittleFlower Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 09:43 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: My church has universal voluntary head covering. If a woman isn't wearing one, you know she's a visitor.

This is kind of what sparked this thread.  I was saying that looking at the percentage of women in headcovering is a decent litmus text for how traditional the parish is.  My friend said no, it isn't.  So I figured hey, I'll do a poll.   :)

I agree with your friend.  If I wanted a litmus test, I'd look at line-ups for Confession.

I'm with you on that one.  I think another good one is how much time does the priest spend hearing confessions. 
So today at Mass I paid attention to how many women had head-coverings and it was about 90%. 
Only about half of the women at my diocesan TLM cover, but the line for confession - with our new priest - goes forever.  He begins confession half hour before Mass and either he or the other parish priest usually end up continuing confession half way through Mass.

I was glad for that, personally, one week.  I really needed to go and so paid attention to Mass while in line, briefly confessed, and got done just in time for the end of the Gospel.  There were still more in line behind me.  What a good problem for Father to have.  :)
(09-21-2012, 09:43 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: My church has universal voluntary head covering. If a woman isn't wearing one, you know she's a visitor.

This is kind of what sparked this thread.  I was saying that looking at the percentage of women in headcovering is a decent litmus text for how traditional the parish is.  My friend said no, it isn't.  So I figured hey, I'll do a poll.   :)

I agree with your friend.  If I wanted a litmus test, I'd look at line-ups for Confession.

There are more variables there, though, such as how often Confession is offered.  I've been to Traditional chapels that have less lines because they offer it every day.  :)
(09-23-2012, 06:48 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote:

There are more variables there, though, such as how often Confession is offered.  I've been to Traditional chapels that have less lines because they offer it every day.  :)

Or even every day before every Mass, with at least two daily Masses, more on Sunday, plus an extra time on Saturday! Not my parish but one I've visited, and it's wonderful to have success access to the sacrament, with traditional priests.
One of the things I love about my parish. Confession is offered Monday - Friday for 1/2 hour before 7:00 mass and for an hour before noon mass.  Saturdays from 3:00-4:45.  And the lines are still long. :):):)
I always wear a headcovering, usually a mantilla. I think they're just beautiful. I have a huge collection of them.
Kayla, have you thought about making one for yourself?  It can't be that difficult, but then again, it would take some time, and not everyone is inclined to make delicate things like this.  I've seen some really beautiful mantillas that were home-made.  I only made tiny alterations on mine, and don't yet have the confidence to make one from scratch, but it does cross my mind when I see one I really like.
(09-23-2012, 03:02 PM)JayneK Wrote: So today at Mass I paid attention to how many women had head-coverings and it was about 90%. 

Jayne, you're at the SSPX, correct? I thought women had to wear a headcovering, like its mandatory, right?
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
Jacafamala. It varies from place to place, but here in the UK there are ALWAYS some spare mantillas around and if someone came to mass and did not have their head covered there would be a 30% chance that some older lady would offer the visitor one and "suggest" it was worn.