Poll: Do you wear a headcovering (veil, mantilla, hat, etc) at Mass?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Headcovering
(10-21-2012, 09:37 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 09:09 PM)GenevieveW Wrote: I'm looking for a new mantilla. I'm short and have a small head and it seems like most mantillas make me look like I've raided my mom's closet, if you know what I mean. I'm looking for one that won't swallow me up. I've looked at many sites online and the ones I've seen look either too small or too big. Any suggestions? I'd like one in black that is 'delicate' looking, meaning not a really heavy lace. Something very light that goes down to my shoulders.

IMO it's about the length of your hair, not your height.  The hair poking out from under look isn't so pretty, at least not to me.

Hmmm. My hair is currently about shoulder length. And I think it's less about my height than the size of my face, which is small. My current mantilla is white and when I wear it, I feel like it overwhelms my face. I want something that lightly frames my face. Does that make sense?
I was SO excited at Mass today- for the first time I saw someone else wearing a mantilla!  :grin: It felt so good, knowing that I wasn't "alone" anymore.
(10-21-2012, 10:44 PM)GenevieveW Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 09:09 PM)GenevieveW Wrote: I'm looking for a new mantilla. I'm short and have a small head and it seems like most mantillas make me look like I've raided my mom's closet, if you know what I mean. I'm looking for one that won't swallow me up. I've looked at many sites online and the ones I've seen look either too small or too big. Any suggestions? I'd like one in black that is 'delicate' looking, meaning not a really heavy lace. Something very light that goes down to my shoulders.

IMO it's about the length of your hair, not your height.  The hair poking out from under look isn't so pretty, at least not to me.

Hmmm. My hair is currently about shoulder length. And I think it's less about my height than the size of my face, which is small. My current mantilla is white and when I wear it, I feel like it overwhelms my face. I want something that lightly frames my face. Does that make sense?

Have you considered a small round style, more like a chapel cap?  Something like this: http://rosamysticamantilla.com/the-martha-veil.php
(10-21-2012, 11:01 PM)Deidre Wrote: I was SO excited at Mass today- for the first time I saw someone else wearing a mantilla!  :grin: It felt so good, knowing that I wasn't "alone" anymore.

It isn't an issue for me on Sundays, but I go to a NO Mass on weekdays and there are only a few other women there who cover their heads.  Sometimes at an NO I am the only one and it feels so much nicer when there are others.
(10-21-2012, 10:44 PM)GenevieveW Wrote:

Have you thought about an oblong rectangular scarf with the ends criss-crossed under your chin and hanging down your back?

[Image: 14kk4nm.jpg]

You could do this even with your long hair, I think.
(10-21-2012, 11:01 PM)Deidre Wrote: I was SO excited at Mass today- for the first time I saw someone else wearing a mantilla!  :grin: It felt so good, knowing that I wasn't "alone" anymore.

Cheers!  :cheers: I luv hearing stuff like that.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(10-22-2012, 01:00 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: Have you thought about an oblong rectangular scarf with the ends criss-crossed under your chin and hanging down your back?

Just asking because I really don't know, but is it acceptable to wear a scarf instead of a mantilla? I mean, the idea is just that the hair needs to be mostly covered, right? I have not been able to get a mantilla to stay on my head, no matter what I do, but I can get a scarf to stay.
(11-09-2012, 03:07 PM)spiritofjoy Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 01:00 PM)per_passionem_eius Wrote: Have you thought about an oblong rectangular scarf with the ends criss-crossed under your chin and hanging down your back?

Just asking because I really don't know, but is it acceptable to wear a scarf instead of a mantilla? I mean, the idea is just that the hair needs to be mostly covered, right? I have not been able to get a mantilla to stay on my head, no matter what I do, but I can get a scarf to stay.

Yeah, it's totally fine.  Hats are also an acceptable headcovering.
(11-09-2012, 03:39 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: Yeah, it's totally fine.  Hats are also an acceptable headcovering.

Wonderful. :) The ladies at the trad chapel here only use mantillas (at least as far as I've seen), so I might stick out, but at least I won't have to worry about the mantilla constantly falling off. It takes me a good ten minutes to pin a mantilla in place, whereas it takes me all of 10 seconds to put on a scarf. :)
(11-09-2012, 03:48 PM)spiritofjoy Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 03:39 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: Yeah, it's totally fine.  Hats are also an acceptable headcovering.

Wonderful. :) The ladies at the trad chapel here only use mantillas (at least as far as I've seen), so I might stick out, but at least I won't have to worry about the mantilla constantly falling off. It takes me a good ten minutes to pin a mantilla in place, whereas it takes me all of 10 seconds to put on a scarf. :)

Mantillas are a tradition -- but they are not mandated.  What's important is that the head is covered.