Poll: Do you wear a headcovering (veil, mantilla, hat, etc) at Mass?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Headcovering
(11-09-2012, 04:29 PM)OCLittleFlower Wrote: Mantillas are a tradition -- but they are not mandated.  What's important is that the head is covered.

Awesome. I'll be rocking the scarf, then.  :grin:
I wear a Mantilla to Mass. I think they're beautiful. More young ladies are beginning to re-discover this tradition. That's a good thing.
I voted yes for my wife she always covers and at our FSSP chapel they put extras outside the entrances to the nave for anyone who doesn't have one but would like to wear one.
I always wear a headcovering. It varies depending on what I wear, though I make use of hats, scarves, and snoods.

It seems it might make sense why there might be confusion about it in traditional circles.

I know from my experience at a conservative Catholic college that many young women there had varying preferences. We had Low Mass on Fridays (and occasional sung masses for certain feast days) and usually more girls would wear a head covering then, but most did not. Oddly, many of those girls wearing headcoverings would NOT wear them to the  NO Mass celebrated the other days of the week. There was even a trad French girl who did not cover her head, ever.

I had a hard time discerning why their preferences varied, or why the trend seem to be only wearing a headcovering (if you wanted to wear one at all) to the TLM.

That was not my experience in my home parish's Latin Mass community. Almost every woman I could see would wear a mantilla, scarf, or hat.
I guess it is the audience but it's great to see that so many of us here cover for Mass.  I truly believe that this is a growing movement among Catholic women.
I have a question regarding the veil for Mass. I am going to be attending Mass regularly soon when the RCIA classes start, but the veil I am currently knitting will not be ready for quite some time - since my husbands needed my help with the finances for his company my free time has been put to that until they can hire a CPA. I do, however, have a 'babushka' scarf - being Russian we all grew up with these around the house LOL. It's a bit more colorful than the veils I'm seeing online (and not lace), but would that be acceptable as a head covering for Mass?

Mine kind of looks like this:

[Image: comtesse-sofia.jpg].

Would people consider it too distracting? I don't want to harm the experience of anyone else at Mass, but at the moment quite a bit of our finances are tied up with my husband's company so my options are to make one with the yarn I have or use something I already own. I'm not a big hat wearer so all I have in that department are ball caps LOL.
ATereskov, I think that would be a beautiful headcovering! As for distracting people, I think to some degree, headcoverings are going to distract the uninitiated regardless of their color. I know at my NO parish I get the occasional glance from a child who doesn't understand (I wear a veil).

If you were to go to a Divine Liturgy, you would fit right in with that kind of headcovering. Scarves are also worn at the Latin rite, so either way, you're good to go. :)