The Black Death is Back
Well you just never know, right? Around every corner waits calamity just waiting to happen. It's a wonder any of us ever get through a single day, but for thanks to our guardian angels and Blessed Mother.
Oh my Jesus, I surrender myself to you. Take care of everything.--Fr Dolindo Ruotolo

Persevere..Eucharist, Holy Rosary, Brown Scapular, Confession. You will win.
(09-21-2012, 06:27 PM)Starry Plough Wrote: There's two kinds. Bubonic which is spread by the bite of infected fleas. And Pneumonic which is spread by water droplets in coughing. This  form is far more dangerous. You can
get it from being in the same room.

There is also septicemic plague, which is also spread by the fleas and kills much more quickly than either of the other two.
(09-21-2012, 06:34 PM)Rosarium Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 06:32 PM)Pheo Wrote: I'm more afraid of some of the superbugs lurking around.  I just went to a conference where they were talking about bacteria that can break down carbapenem, one of our "last resort" antibiotics.  And of course there's not much research going on into new antibiotics given the low potential for massive profits. 
Superbugs are easy to defeat: do not kill their competitors except when absolutely necessary.

Easy on a larger population scale ... but since that suggestion is often ignored we have superbugs which in any one particular individual can be very, very difficult to treat.  That's scary.
(09-24-2012, 09:15 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:
(09-21-2012, 06:27 PM)Starry Plough Wrote: There's two kinds. Bubonic which is spread by the bite of infected fleas. And Pneumonic which is spread by water droplets in coughing. This  form is far more dangerous. You can

There is also septicemic plague, which is also spread by the fleas and kills much more quickly than either of the other two.
Never heard of the third kind. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to avoid it like the...well...you know.
(09-24-2012, 11:53 AM)Starry Plough Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 09:15 AM)Pilgrim Wrote:

Never heard of the third kind. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be sure to avoid it like the...well...you know.

Yeah the Black Death was a whole cocktail of these.  Nasty stuff...
[video=youtube] [/video]