Question about the "Asperges" at a Missa Cantata.
Please forgive my ignorance about this matter, but can someone please help me?

I have been to several SSPX and Diocesan TLM Missa Cantatae where the Asperges is not sung, nether does the priest bless the congregation with water.

Is the Asperges optional at a Sung Mass?
The Asperges is instructed to be done only on Sundays, and only at the "principal" Mass of the day. This is presumably the Mass that's done with the most solemnity. I'm not sure if it may be omitted.

And of course, during Paschaltide, it's called Vidi Aquam.
(09-24-2012, 01:18 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: The Asperges is instructed to be done only on Sundays, and only at the "principal" Mass of the day. This is presumably the Mass that's done with the most solemnity. I'm not sure if it may be omitted.

Thank you.
Both Mass's were on Sunday
The SSPX Missa Cantata was the principal Mass the day it had no Asperges.

The Diocesan TLM Sunday Missa Cantata was the fourth of seven Mass's.
No Asperges.
I've sung at many Masses, both diocesan and SSPX.  Never has the Asperges (or Vidi Aquam during the Paschal season) been omitted on Sunday.
(09-24-2012, 01:23 PM)Old Salt Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 01:18 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: The Asperges is instructed to be done only on Sundays, and only at the "principal" Mass of the day. This is presumably the Mass that's done with the most solemnity. I'm not sure if it may be omitted.

Thank you.

No Asperges.
  We have the Asperges every Sunday at our diocesan TLM Mass  (High mass)

Thank you.

No Asperges.

Not sure about that SSPX one. From what you say, sounds like it was required.

At the diocesan TLM, was that the only TLM there? Or the principal TLM if there were low Masses?

Anyway, that's a separate issue.  If the 'principal Mass' is an NO, should the Asperges still be done at the principle or only TLM? I think so. But others have disagreed. The TLM rubrics obviously do't foresee this presence of the NO and so they don't say.
(09-24-2012, 02:46 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:

Thank you.

No Asperges.

Not sure about that SSPX one. From what you say, sounds like it was required.

At the diocesan TLM, was that the only TLM there? Or the principal TLM if there were low Masses?

Anyway, that's a separate issue.  If the 'principal Mass' is an NO, should the Asperges still be done at the principle or only TLM? I think so. But others have disagreed. The TLM rubrics obviously do't foresee this presence of the NO and so they don't say.
At the diocesan parish the TLM is the only TLM of the seven Mass's,
the rest are NO Masses.
(09-24-2012, 01:09 PM)Old Salt Wrote: Please forgive my ignorance about this matter, but can someone please help me?

I have been to several SSPX and Diocesan TLM Missa Cantatae where the Asperges is not sung, nether does the priest bless the congregation with water.

Is the Asperges optional at a Sung Mass?

My Missal says the Asperges is just done before a High Mass.  A Missa Cantata is a sung Tridentine Mass without deacon and subdeacon.  The Missa Cantata "is really a low Mass, since the essence of high Mass is not the music but the deacon and subdeacon".  I am obviously no expert on this but there was a thread about it a couple of months ago and I remember what the experts did say.
(09-24-2012, 03:20 PM)mikemac Wrote: My Missal says the Asperges is just done before a High Mass.  A Missa Cantata is a sung Tridentine Mass without deacon and subdeacon.  The Missa Cantata "is really a low Mass, since the essence of high Mass is not the music but the deacon and subdeacon".  I am obviously no expert on this but there was a thread about it a couple of months ago and I remember what the experts did say.

This is true. However, the Asperges, like the use of incense, has come to be associated with sung Mass as well.
I just found out that The Asperges and incense is optional at a non-Solemn, sung TLM.
At least according to the missal of '62
unless it is the principal Mass of the day [not sure what this means]