Question about the "Asperges" at a Missa Cantata.
Is it also required on Sollemnities like All Saints' Day?
(I ask because Nov 1st  we will have the first Missa Cantata in our parish since we started with EF Mass)
(09-24-2012, 04:37 PM)kingofspades Wrote: Is it also required on Sollemnities like All Saints' Day?
(I ask because Nov 1st  we will have the first Missa Cantata in our parish since we started with EF Mass)

No, the Asperges applies strictly to Sundays. However, if a solemnity falls on a Sunday, then there should be Asperges (again, for the "principal" Mass only).
(09-24-2012, 04:44 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 04:37 PM)kingofspades Wrote: Is it also required on Sollemnities like All Saints' Day?

No, the Asperges applies strictly to Sundays. However, if a solemnity falls on a Sunday, then there should be Asperges (again, for the "principal" Mass only).
What is a "principle" Mass?
(09-24-2012, 04:57 PM)Old Salt Wrote: What is a "principle" Mass?

Good question. There's no precise definition that I know of.

The way I see it, the principal Mass is the one that's celebrated with the most solemnity. So if you have one solemn Mass on a Sunday, that makes it the principal Mass.

Or, if you have two sung Masses, but only one has incense, the one with incense is the principal.

If they're all equal, then perhaps the one closest to Terce (9am) would be the principal Mass, since Mass was traditionally celebrated after Terce.

The biggest confusion would be if your TLM is just one amidst a bunch of Novus Ordo Masses.
(09-24-2012, 05:03 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(09-24-2012, 04:57 PM)Old Salt Wrote: What is a "principle" Mass?

Good question. There's no precise definition that I know of.

The way I see it, the principal Mass is the one that's celebrated with the most solemnity. So if you have one solemn Mass on a Sunday, that makes it the principal Mass.

Or, if you have two sung Masses, but only one has incense, the one with incense is the principal.

If they're all equal, then perhaps the one closest to Terce (9am) would be the principal Mass, since Mass was traditionally celebrated after Terce.

The biggest confusion would be if your TLM is just one amidst a bunch of Novus Ordo Masses.
And thats it.
It is the one TLM in the middle of 6 NO Mass's, making it principle, I would think.
Yet no Asperges or incense.

The priest is unfortunately a control freak and unapproachable, otherwise I would ask him.
The only time I've seen the Asperges skipped has been for Gaudete and Laetare Sundays, and then simply because there was no rose Cope available. Father chose to skip the Asperges rather than use purple vestments.
I'd say we're 50/50. The sprinkling is optional and not part of the Mass.
(09-24-2012, 07:28 PM)Servus Immaculatae Wrote: The only time I've seen the Asperges skipped has been for Gaudete and Laetare Sundays, and then simply because there was no rose Cope available. Father chose to skip the Asperges rather than use purple vestments.

In the same situation, I've seen the priest just do the Asperges w/ purple cope. He also used purple stole to match and then changed stiles before putting on rose maniple and chasuble.
I think the Asperges can and should be done at all Sunday Sung Masses, even though it likely only has to be sung at one which I'm not sure of either. Anyone have Fr. Fortescue's book handy?