Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-04-2012, 09:53 PM)Parmandur Wrote: "Church membership in 2007 was 1.147 billion people,[6] (17% of the global population at the time) increasing from the 1950 figure of 437 million[7] (17% of the global population at the time) and the 1970 figure of 654 million.[8] On 31 December 2008, membership was 1.166 billion, an increase of 11.54% over the same date in 2000, only slightly greater than the rate of increase of the world population (10.77%). The increase was 33.02% in Africa, but only 1.17% in Europe. It was 15.91% in Asia, 11.39% in Oceania, and 10.93% in Americas. As a result, Catholics were 17.77% of the total population in Africa, 63.10% in Americas, 3.05% in Asia, 39.97% in Europe, 26.21% in Oceania, and 17.40% of the world population. Of the world's Catholics, the proportion living in Africa grew from 12.44% in 2000 to 14.84% in 2008, while those living in Europe fell from 26.81% to 24.31%.[9]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_p...atholicism

The number of priests is, incidentally, on the rise and has been for some time.  Just not among Westerners, whose culture is in decay:

"The number of bishops in the world went up from 4,541 in 2000 to 5,002 in 2008, an increase of 10.15%.
The number of priests also increased slightly over this nine-year period, passing from 405,178 in 2000 to 409,166 in 2008, an overall rise of 0.98%. In Africa and Asia their numbers increased (respectively, by 33.1% and 23.8%); in the Americas they remained stable, while they fell by 7% in Europe and 4% in Oceania."

http://www.zenit.org/rssenglish-29058

"Decidedly more dynamic is the situation in Africa, where Catholics have almost tripled: in 1978 there were around 55 million and by 2004 had risen to almost 149 million. This growth, only in part attributable to purely demographic factors, reflects a real increase in the presence of baptized believers: in fact, Catholics, who made up 12.4% of the population of Africa in 1978, represented almost 17 % twenty-six years later. "

http://www.30giorni.it/articoli_id_10812_l3.htm

Let it be noted, that between the death of St. John and the rise of Constantine, the Church grew, on average, about 3% or so a year, by the best estimates: http://www.amazon.com/Cities-God-Christi...0060858427

I won't make a case that it is the highest rate of growth, that was perhaps hyperbole, but the fact is the missionary effort of the Church has flourished after Vatican II, and especially under JP2.

Quote:The estimated percentage of Catholics attending Mass every week using the responses to CARA's self-administered surveys are more consistent with what is found in estimates of the attendance of Catholics derived from other methods, such as sample-based head counts and time diary studies.  As the figure below shows, results from 12 CARA telephone surveys and seven CARA-Knowledge networks surveys (using self-administered methods), produce no statistically significant changes in weekly Mass attendance between 2000 and 2008 by either method of polling.  All variations are within the sampling margin of error.  The difference between the two methods of polling is consistently about 8 to 14 percentage points for those who say they attend weekly or more often.  On average, in CARA's self-administered surveys 22% to 23% percent of adult self-identified Catholics say they attend Mass on a weekly basis (i.e. every week).

[Image: mattend2.jpg]

http://nineteensixty-four.blogspot.com/2...-mass.html

Good job on that growth! The more that convert and not attend weekly Mass, refuse Confession (don't make us break out those statistics) and reject Catholic dogma (again, another detrimental statistic) will find a deeper level of Hell then they would have outside the Church. Way to go! :clap:
(10-05-2012, 04:01 AM)TS Aquinas Wrote: Good job on that growth! The more that convert and not attend weekly Mass, refuse Confession (don't make us break out those statistics) and reject Catholic dogma (again, another detrimental statistic) will find a deeper level of Hell then they would have outside the Church. Way to go! :clap:

The stats actually support the slump in faith in the West. Since many Catholics of European background are often euro-centric, they'd of course think that America and Europe are the Church. One wouldn't think of asking, What are conditions like in Nigeria?

http://www.hli.org/index.php/mission-fie...-june-2012

(10-05-2012, 03:24 AM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: Parmandur:
The world's population of Catholics held constant at 17% over the last 50 years.

So there wasn't any growth.  (Heck, there was negative growth because most of those Catholics don't actually ...  act Catholic)

:eyeroll:

It is growth in overall number. While the percentage is not higher, the number of people is vastly higher. When salvation is an individual thing, that is very important. The data does support my theory that grace is being transferred to the African and the Asian, the "third world" people, and away from the "first world". I think this is actually in the divine plan, and through these people we will then be reevangelized ... after we've been humbled.
(10-05-2012, 04:01 AM)TS Aquinas Wrote: Good job on that growth! The more that convert and not attend weekly Mass, refuse Confession (don't make us break out those statistics) and reject Catholic dogma (again, another detrimental statistic) will find a deeper level of Hell then they would have outside the Church. Way to go! :clap:

:LOL: WTF....really..... :/ you can't be serious-I highly don't think that just because Catholics 'miss' a few masses by accident/or simply they cannot make it to mass because of 'other complications' will find a deeper hell. >.< Or refuse confession-I don't think many refuse confession-they just only go to confession around the holidays-like once or twice a year because their is no 'law' that states you need to go to confession all the time! >.< There is no 'law' that says one has to do 'exactly' as the pope/church commands  :LOL: >.< For example, I really was sick on Sunday-and I could not go to mass so I did not go to mass and I slept the whole day to get better. I only go to confession like once or twice per year-usually once and during Lent. 'Hell my bloody arse' >.<  >:(  >:(  >:( 
(10-05-2012, 09:43 AM)Scriptorium Wrote: It is growth in overall number. While the percentage is not higher, the number of people is vastly higher. When salvation is an individual thing, that is very important. The data does support my theory that grace is being transferred to the African and the Asian, the "third world" people, and away from the "first world". I think this is actually in the divine plan, and through these people we will then be reevangelized ... after we've been humbled.

I meant to respond to this earlier.

This is stupid. 
(10-09-2012, 03:18 AM)ByrnePerfection Wrote:

:LOL: WTF....really..... :/ you can't be serious-I highly don't think that just because Catholics 'miss' a few masses by accident/or simply they cannot make it to mass because of 'other complications' will find a deeper hell. >.< Or refuse confession-I don't think many refuse confession-they just only go to confession around the holidays-like once or twice a year because their is no 'law' that states you need to go to confession all the time! >.< There is no 'law' that says one has to do 'exactly' as the pope/church commands  :LOL: >.< For example, I really was sick on Sunday-and I could not go to mass so I did not go to mass and I slept the whole day to get better. I only go to confession like once or twice per year-usually once and during Lent. 'Hell my bloody arse' >.<  >:(  >:(  >:( 

1) If you have a good reason to miss Mass (i.e. you are sick) than the Church teaches that you are not obligated to attend Mass.

2) The Church requires you to go to confession once a year to fufill your Easter duty, as well as before you receive Communion when you have committed a mortal sin.  God forbid that you die with your soul in the state of mortal sin because you WILL find yourself in hell regardless of your (wrongful) interpretation of Church teaching.

3) Why do you post here? You clearly have no intention of learning about the faith since almost every single one of your posts makes a mockery of the Church and the Catholic Faith.  If you were ignorent and wanted to learn that would be different, but all I've seen is you ridiculing the faith and making excuses for your own actions.   

4) Your profile with all the pictures and the stupid quote is straight up annoying.   
(10-01-2012, 10:21 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: Midday Angelus, Sept 30,  Castel Gandolfo.

Dear brothers and sisters!

The Gospel of this Sunday presents one of those episodes of the life of Christ that, although, reported “in passing,” so to speak, contain a profound meaning (cf. Mark 9:38-41). It tells that someone, who was not one of Jesus’ followers, cast out demons in Jesus’ name. The Apostle John, young and zealous as he was, wanted to stop him but Jesus did not permit it; on the contrary, he takes the occasion to teach his disciples that God can do good and even wondrous things outside of their circle, and that it is possible to work together in the cause of the Kingdom of God in different ways, even offering a simple glass of water to a missionary (9:41).

St. Augustine writes in this regard: “Just as in the ‘Catholica,'” that is in the Church, “we can find that which is not Catholic, so also outside of the ‘Catholica’ there can be something Catholic” (“On Baptism Against the Donatists,” PL 43, VII, 39, 77). For this reason the members of the Church must not be jealous but rejoice if someone outside the community does something good in Christ’s name, as long as he does it with the right intention and with respect. It can also occur that in the Church herself sometimes there is a failure to value and to appreciate, in a spirit of profound communion, the good things done by various ecclesial groups. We must all, however, be always able to appreciate and esteem each other, praising the Lord for the infinite “imagination” with which he works in the Church and in the world.

In today’s liturgy there also echoes the Apostle James’ invective against the dishonest rich, who place their trust in the security of wealth gained unjustly (cf. James 5:1-6). In this connection Caesarius of Arles states: “While riches cannot harm a good man because they make him merciful, they cannot help a bad man inasmuch as he holds on to them greedily or wastes them in dissipation” (Sermons 35, 4). The Apostle James’ words, while they warn against the vain pursuit of material goods, constitute a powerful call to use them with a view to solidarity and the common good, acting always with equity and morality at all levels.

Dear friends, through the intercession of Mary Most Holy, let us pray that we might know how to rejoice in every good deed and initiative, without envy and jealousy, and to use earthly goods wisely in the continuous pursuit of eternal goods.

Source: http://www.zenit.org/article-35628?l=english

The whole tone of this statement is contrary to the catholic faith,  the tone is set by comparing the different "ecclesial communities" and the True Church to missionaries who have different ways of doing things, it follows by saying we should be happy and not jealous at the good thats done "outside" of the Church - of course the pope gives no concrete examples and neglects to mention the fact that any such joy would be tempered by sadness that such people are more likely than not going to hell- and of course the supposed deep communion we have with these heretics and schismatics is mentioned again.

As for praying to Our Lady, its no good asking her to bless such unorthodox efforts especially when you ignored her commands to consecrate russia to her immaculate heart.
-oops - wrong thread.
(10-13-2012, 11:27 AM)Guardian Wrote:

1) If you have a good reason to miss Mass (i.e. you are sick) than the Church teaches that you are not obligated to attend Mass.

2) The Church requires you to go to confession once a year to fufill your Easter duty, as well as before you receive Communion when you have committed a mortal sin.  God forbid that you die with your soul in the state of mortal sin because you WILL find yourself in hell regardless of your (wrongful) interpretation of Church teaching.

3) Why do you post here? You clearly have no intention of learning about the faith since almost every single one of your posts makes a mockery of the Church and the Catholic Faith.  If you were ignorent and wanted to learn that would be different, but all I've seen is you ridiculing the faith and making excuses for your own actions.   

4) Your profile with all the pictures and the stupid quote is straight up annoying.   

Annoying quote?? Jesus' words? >.< yeah sure banned from the church-due to unjust cause. Just because the 'holy rollers' at the time didn't believe it! Well-the priests at my church have brought that up plenty of times-that Jesus is all around us-not just in the church. :). Mockery of the church....no. I'm not trying to 'mock' the church more like 'debate' points. >.< speaking of mortal sins--err....I understand why death is a mortal sin....but blasphemy...umm why?....Excuses? No they're not excuses believe me-I believe what I want to believe...not just what the church 'forces' on me...I'm open to everything and anything!
Quote:No they're not excuses believe me-I believe what I want to believe...not just what the church 'forces' on me.

I just...I mean...is- is this what Vox wants the forum to look like?

(10-20-2012, 04:02 AM)ByrnePerfection Wrote:
(10-13-2012, 11:27 AM)Guardian Wrote:

Annoying quote?? Jesus' words? >.< yeah sure banned from the church-due to unjust cause. Just because the 'holy rollers' at the time didn't believe it! Well-the priests at my church have brought that up plenty of times-that Jesus is all around us-not just in the church. :). Mockery of the church....no. I'm not trying to 'mock' the church more like 'debate' points. >.< speaking of mortal sins--err....I understand why death is a mortal sin....but blasphemy...umm why?....Excuses? No they're not excuses believe me-I believe what I want to believe...not just what the church 'forces' on me...I'm open to everything and anything!

Quote:Simon Peter said to them, "Make Mary leave us, for females don't deserve life."

Jesus said, "Look, I will guide her to make her male, so that she too may become a living spirit resembling you males. For every female who makes herself male will enter the kingdom of Heaven."

Ready to become male? Because according to the Gnostics that you praise by quoting their heretical and blasphemous texts, you are unworthy of life as a female.

'I believe what I want to believe... I'm open to everything and anything!"

You do realize the contradiction you've placed yourself in, right?