Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-02-2012, 11:36 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(10-02-2012, 01:58 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote:
(10-02-2012, 01:52 PM)Richard C Wrote: Thanks, Southpaw. I really think I understand the passages better for reading those writings of the Fathers.

No problem, Richard!  I figured posting that would be more constructive than criticizing the Holy Father's message.

It's both constructive and by comparison illustrative of the problem in the papacy.  Criticism  is not intrinsically destructive, criticizing something because there is a problem is an act of charity.

If someone is telling you about the "Last Temptation of Christ" and they only tell you the orthodox parts and then someone comes along and fills in the gaps and tells you about the rest, that's a good thing.  If they further tell you to go see "The Passion of the Christ" that's a bonus.

I completely agree with you.  Your example reminds me of the post I had planned on making:  It appears as if Pope Benedict only ever speaks of what's good about Protestantism (he doesn't even think they should be called heretics anymore), rather than emphasizing their urgent need to convert to the Catholic Faith for the sake of their salvation.

As you implied earlier, it's obvious that actual grace and good works are to be found outside the Church (cf. Denz. 1025, 1027, 1379, 1388.).

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by SouthpawLink - 10-03-2012, 09:40 AM