Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-03-2012, 01:34 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: All well and good, but what seems to be notably missing is any preaching that their vision is incomplete.  We're supposed to get along with them, appreciate them, etc.  All of that is relatively easy.  Our culture basically forces us to do that.

What's being left out is the strong medicine, the medicine we actually need:  preaching that we need to pray for their conversion, that outside the Church there is no salvation, that even if they are not culpable as heretics, still their objective situation of heresy puts them in grave danger.  All this, so that we can deal honestly and openly with them about their real situation.

This is the message that is missing.  It's not purely negative, because there are things we can do.  Nonetheless, if you fail to recognize the negative facts, you can't take positive action.  And this ignorance of negative facts is widespread.  I really wish more of those in the hierarchy, up to and including the Holy Father, would do more about it.  Until they do, I expect this crisis-level situation in the Church to continue.

Well, when the documents come out, we often selectively omit these favorable passages. Or in other cases, we simply spend our time criticizing how they don't talk like Pius XI or something. The message is quite clear in the VII texts, in Canon Law, in the CCC, and in the encyclicals. I was just looking at the Togo affair with JPII, and I noticed the "traditionalist" complaints did nothing to cite his clear message he shared with a "snake worshipping priest" that we believe that Jesus is the savior, and recommended him to come to the Marian shrine often and to pray. (http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=w_h...%2C2146446 and http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/john_p...io_fr.html)  It is an unbalanced critique. It often fails to present the complete picture of the good and bad, and then submitting it to the reader for thought. So if they're positive to a fault, then we must in justice admit we're negative to a fault. Worth thinking about. But I don't think that has to be the case. I think there is a failure to communicate between the holy people on either side of the debate. As Bishop Fellay said, it is like they speak a different language. But maybe we have some of the fault for not listening to what "the Spirit saith to the churches".

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by Scriptorium - 10-03-2012, 02:48 PM