Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-03-2012, 08:55 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(10-03-2012, 07:02 PM)Walty Wrote:
(10-03-2012, 03:31 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: Good points throughout this thread, Scriptorium, and wise words from the Holy Father. Ironically, petty sectarianism is a constant temptation amongst Catholics.

Bonum diffusivum sui est

Honest question:  Was Pope Pius' condemnation of join prayer in the 1918 Code of Canon Law "petty sectarianism"?

No, I wouldn't say that. I was referring more to people who seem to want to set themselves up as gatekeepers or something like that, strictly regulating who can have any experience of God.

I'm not aware of any trads that claim that Protestants can't have genuine experiences of God, but if you're referring to pagan or blasphemous religions then it is a bit different.

You're a very intelligent person when it comes to philosophy.  I don't understand why you can't look at, say, a religious practice, see that it is antithetical to what we say about the nature of God, and deduce from that the practice cannot come from God.

You do with extreme things.  You wouldn't claim a group of pagans who sacrifice children are "experiencing God" (I hope), but with equally contradictory but less offensive things (like, say, experiencing God whilst praising to a "God" who gave words to a prophet which blaspheme the Trinity) you can't seem to make the connection.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by Walty - 10-03-2012, 09:14 PM