Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
I might not say that pagans making human sacrifices are "experiencing God," but I think one could say that they are responding to the divine in a sense. Man feels that there is a state of enmity between God and himself, and he then concludes that blood sacrifice is necessary to restore proper relations. This impulse was taken up, fulfilled, and redeemed by Christ. Of course, we now identify with the Sacrificial Victim and see that ancient religiosity had been corrupted, but there was still some truth in it.

I think the problem with the common sort of integralism we see is that it assumes a secular and nihilistic background devoid of meaning with Catholicism standing out against this background as a religion. This sort of integralist than sets up his set of propositions as the one path to meaning. What I would prefer to this is a Christocentric reading of history and society: the Church is not just "a religion," but rather the recapitulation and redemption of paganism and man's natural impulses. Christianity is in tune with man's nature and a continuation and uplifting of his attempts to discover truth while also being the most extraordinary and unexpected development in history. Other traditions, then, are not just man-made constructs that can be completely explained by sociology, but are instead mixtures of anticipations and corruptions of primordial Truth. Looking back on them now, we can see that they were always pointing toward the arrival of Christ. I believe Joseph de Maistre somewhere says that he would not accept Christianity if all of its doctrines could not be found in altered form in paganism. This is the view of human history I would take.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by Crusading Philologist - 10-03-2012, 10:18 PM