Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-04-2012, 07:10 PM)Parmandur Wrote: Here's the thing: the most rapid increase in conversions to the Catholic Church in history is actually after Vatican II.  Not in the West, generally, though no slouch there, but the crop of conversions since the Council has actually been enormous worldwide.  The trips of JP II to Africa and the rest of the developing world coincided with the conversion of tens of millions to the Catholic Faith.  In pragmatic Evangelical terms, that is impressive.

There might be by number, but I don't know if by rate, which really could not be measured because we simply do not have the date. But Bl .John Paul II went to places no Pope has ever been, and his personal touch was very memorable I am sure to those people. We do know from the stats that the post-VII slump was recovered in the JPII pontificate. One could say that is expected with any major changes in the Church, not to mention society. I think the real measures is something we could never know, which is how many go to heaven. And in that measure we know which Pope, bishops, Councils, changes, etc. could have been beneficial for people. But I think that is the wrong way to look at things, comparing Popes and Councils, etc.

I hold a view, a sort of "inkling", that from the perspective of oneself, the grace given is equal for salvation for all men. This means that everyone has the same chance to go to heaven. It doesn't matter which time, place, race, or whatever you are situated in. Then why does this other stuff matters? Why not just become a Buddhist? Well, because God has revealed His Church. What he wants is a correspondence to His approaches to us in love. But he approaches each person uniquely. Some may never have the Church, but they still are required to correspondence to the grace given to them. Some have the Church, and they would need to correspondence to that grace given. And we spread the Church because He taught us to. Not as a desperation to save souls, per se, because God doesn't need us to save souls, but to obey His commands and correspondence to that grace. The call of our time is just like the one in the past, "thy will not mine, O Lord." Finally when the days are done, we'll see what really was going on. I don't think any Church actions will be put one against another, but rather how people responded to the grace of their time. Sometimes I think we wish for a grace not of this time, but of another. God's ways are not ours.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by Scriptorium - 10-04-2012, 08:00 PM