Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-04-2012, 09:03 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote:
(10-04-2012, 08:52 PM)Walty Wrote:
(10-04-2012, 04:46 PM)Scriptorium Wrote:
(10-04-2012, 01:47 PM)Walty Wrote: I think this is apples and oranges.  The early Church may have accepted pagan names, but it vehemently fought against paganism itself.  It gave paganism no quarter and did not bat an eye at doing what was necessary to root it out and to expose it as the demonic religion that it is.

Our modern heads of the ecumenical movement do not do the latter.  That's what all the fuss is about.  It's not about mere names or calendar dates.  It's about doctrine and practice.

I do agree that clear teaching should be given to these people, but I disagree that that is what the fuss is about in some quarters. I heard a lot about how JPII shouldn't have worn some Indian headdress or stole. "Inculturation!" was the battle cry. The content of his teaching was almost a footnote, if that, in some instances. Just to exemplify, would you support the idea of Africans drumming during Mass? What about them having vestments in different colors, like black as a color of hope instead of green?

The Christians who used pagan symbolism or holidays didn't put upon the clothes of the pagan priests.  I believe that that is crossing a line. 

If St. Paul told us to not eat meat offered to a pagan god, why should the Vicar of Christ wear the clothing of a priest of a pagan god?

Not looking to get involved in the discussion, but didn't St Paul say exactly the opposite, that we may eat food that was sacrificed to idols?

Yes, yes he did.  He said it was perfectly fine, but that it would be prudent to avoid scandal to "weaker brothers" who were scrupulous about the matter.  So there isn't a problem with a Catholic eating at an Indian restaurant with an idol of Ganesh in the kitchen, but the scandal caused by the appearances of the Assisi conferences would be what St. Paul warned against.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by Parmandur - 10-04-2012, 09:16 PM