Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-20-2012, 07:23 PM)Scriptorium Wrote:
(10-20-2012, 06:49 PM)TrentCath Wrote: Rubbish, saints over the years have loved prostitutes, heretics, usaries, fornicators etc... they certainly didn't praise them or claim they were good at converting people etc.... Your position is becoming increasingly absurd, it is one thing to be charitable to others and quite another to compare heretics and their efforts at leading others into heresy with true missionary work.

You're mixed up here. Taking the joy presupposes a good deed. If prostitutes, heretics, etc. work evil, then we don't take joy. We have compassion on them, pray for them, set a good example, and correct them if possible. If they do good, we rejoice. This is a practice to cultivate goodwill toward them and counter jealousy, envy, resentment, and similar qualities, and also counter a type of elation one gets by clinging to other people's good through a sense of personal lack (taking vicarious joy to an extreme). It is part of a program to cultivate love of neighbor in places we resist, strengthen resolve to good deeds and mental attitudes, and counter evil deeds and mental attitudes on our part.

What are you talking about? Have you even read what the pope has written? I fail to see why we should take joy in heretics converting others to heresy or why we should compare their efforts to missionaries converting people to the one true church of Jesus Christ. Frankly I am not even seeing what your reply has to do with what the pope has said or what I have said it just seems like a random collection of words with no rhyme or reason.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by TrentCath - 10-20-2012, 08:05 PM