Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-01-2012, 11:12 PM)Gerard Wrote: So, what is someone supposed to glean from the Holy Father's message? 

I've never had any sense of envy or jealousy concerning Protestantism or other non-Catholics.  Even as a Novus  Ordo raised Catholic, I never felt that a rousing sermon of dubious orthodoxy was worth not being in Christ's Church.  (snip)

I believe the Holy Father is speaking of spiritual jealousy, not "jealousy" in the sense of sentiments such as, "I'm jealous that Protestants don't have to kneel and cross themselves all the time." My impression is that he's speaking of the same sort of phenomenon I've witnessed wherein someone thinks it "unfair" that, for ex., someone who's led a sinful life can make an Act of Contrition on his deathbed and make it to Heaven alongside someone who's led a holy life. See the Parable of the Laborers in the Vineyard:  http://www.fisheaters.com/parables11.html  The spiritually jealous focuses on what they think is "fair" and what they, at least by their actions, seem to think God "owes" them as opposed to others, as if God owes us anything at all, as if we have the right to assume His role as Judge, as if we could warrant Heaven by our own deservedness instead of Christ's grace alone.

I think in this particular case, he was talking about some of the good fruits Protestants bear and how some Catholics would begrudge them that or deny that they can possibly have any natural virtue or any actual grace because "they" are not "us" who have God wrapped up in a box because we are members of the Body of His Church (forgetting or denying that some who are not a part of Her Body may be a part of Her Soul). I see that sort of thinking quite a lot. It's nasty.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by VoxClamantis - 10-21-2012, 02:39 PM