Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-21-2012, 02:51 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 02:09 PM)TrentCath Wrote:   If we actually look at the popes words, which is why I quoted your original post, we can see that your justifications have little to do with what he actually said. His words are pregnant with indifferentism, there are good things that happen in the church, there are good things that happen outside the Church, he of course makes no distinction, we should praise and esteem them and not ignore the good things done by them due to the profound communion with them etc... There is even an implication that actually this division is the will of God and that somehow the many heretics being outside the Church reflects God using many different tools.

If you can't see how that's problematic, you are simply being wilfully blind. It approaches some of what John Paul II says when it comes to problematic statements. 

There is nothing problematic in the Holy Father's words. Everything he said is so. I don't know why the idea exists that if there are 3 things that are true -- X, Y, and Z -- the Pope is "religiously indifferent" unless he mentions all three. If X is "Actual grace exists outside of the Church" and Y is "Natural virtues are evident in many who are not formal members of the Church" and Z is "Protestants are wrong in not submitting to papal authority, some folks would call the Pope all sorts of names if he just mentions the first two on any given day.  I think some people expect the Pope to wake up every morning, go to his balcony, and yell out "Protestants are material heretics! Just so's y'all know!"  If someone wants to say that he doesn't preach enough about the importance of conversion to the Church, I'd agree. But that hardly makes wrong or a proof of indifference out of anything he said above.

Maybe if you disconnect this passage from everything else he's done as a pontiff.

Pope who meets with Lutheran leaders to talk about how great Luther's faith was and invites worship of false gods and atheism into God's house and positively provides concessions to allow for it writes about the virtues  found outside of Catholicism?  The words themselves probably <i>are</i> alright because they are true in a certain sense, but at the end of the day when you string it together with everything else, it's just more of the same modernism. 
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by Mithrandylan - 10-21-2012, 03:18 PM