Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-21-2012, 04:19 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(10-21-2012, 03:18 PM)Mithrandylan Wrote: Maybe if you disconnect this passage from everything else he's done as a pontiff.

Pope who meets with Lutheran leaders to talk about how great Luther's faith was and invites worship of false gods and atheism into God's house and positively provides concessions to allow for it writes about the virtues  found outside of Catholicism?  The words themselves probably <i>are</i> alright because they are true in a certain sense, but at the end of the day when you string it together with everything else, it's just more of the same modernism. 

SouthpawLink Wrote:Forgive me for belaboring the point, but when was the last time -- if ever -- the Holy Father preached Z?  If all he ever does is preach about X and Y (e.g., Luther was "a great witness of the faith" and "a true believer"), then what impression are most people, including non-theologically-inclined Catholics, going to come away with?  When will it be convenient enough for him to preach Z?

Did you guys see the last line of my post?:  "If someone wants to say that he doesn't preach enough about the importance of conversion to the Church, I'd agree. But that hardly makes wrong or a proof of indifference out of anything he said above."

It's one thing to think the Holy Father doesn't preach enough about God's desire for Christian unity (under the supreme pontiff, of course) and for all men to belong to the Church -- and it's another to claim to find heresy or indifferentism or whatever in perfectly kosher text. It's not right or cool (in fact, it's sinful) and makes trads look like people who like to whine for the sake of whining, who go looking for trouble, hoping to find it -- and claiming to find it where it isn't. There's a reason why that stereotype of trads exists. Trads, like everyone, should fight fair and be honest, and they certainly shouldn't be coming off as just waiiiiiiiting for the Holy Father to "scandalize" us (even though no trad is really "scandalized" by the things pointed out. They might not like it or approve of it, but that isn't what "scandal" means).

I dunno... That sort of thing bugs me. In the first place, it isn't logical. In the second, it doesn't win hearts and minds to come off as bitter to the point of being willing to exaggerate faults and even make things up to sigh over. And because of the logic problem, it doesn't serve to educate anyone about anything. Anyone can read the Holy Father's words above, reflect on Catholic teaching, and know there's nothing wrong with what was said, so indicating otherwise makes trads look really bad. Maybe even stupid. It's unfortunate that this sort of thinking happens a lot.

Vox this is your forum and you know we respect you but what you're saying is plain disrespectful. You are essentially saying everyone who disagrees with you makes us all look stupid and wrong, is sinning and makes the trad movement look bad, I've said my fair share of things I shouldn't but you're the moderator!

I understand you wanting people to tone down what they say on this forum and you've made your feelings on that clear, but if we can't even respectfully express our feelings on something without the mod telling us we are sinning by doing something then thats a whole different ballgame.

I have some other things to say but I don't want to be rude so I'll leave it.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by TrentCath - 10-21-2012, 04:53 PM