Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-22-2012, 11:06 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: There are two issues here.

1. What the Pope said is okay or not okay.

2. Whether the people who say that the Pope's words were okay are (a) actually saying the words were okay or (b) saying it doesn't matter, put your head in the sand, the Pope is always right, just trust blindly.

CC was accusing people of saying (b), but no one is actually saying (b). Vox is pointing out that they are saying (a) which is a totally different position to take (and which preserves the view the we should be reasonable, we can use our minds, we can open our eyes - but comes to a different conclusion than those who say the Pope's words are problematic).

So without even forcing a side, I think Vox (who can clarify if I'm mistaken) is really saying that CC is off with his (quite unfair) characterization. "I see the problems with the Pope's words, so if you think they are okay, you must think we should be naive and act like we don't have reason."

I think CC's assertion is that those who think it's ok may well think so because it's easier to dismiss this stuff than to admit fault in the Holy Father.  To be clear, unlike what some here may think, it is NEVER easy to find fault in the Holy Father or any of his cardinals.  It always hurts.  It always makes us lament for the Church.

But, I don't want to speak for CC.  And my question to Vox is a general one which is not necessarily tied to anything in this thread or any particular response which she's given to anyone in this thread.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by Walty - 10-22-2012, 11:11 AM