Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren
(10-22-2012, 02:56 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 02:46 PM)TrentCath Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 01:41 PM)JayneK Wrote:
(10-22-2012, 11:01 AM)TrentCath Wrote: it has to be said Vox that even though you've repeated it many times, It is not at all clear to many on this thread that actually the popes words are perfectly fine and I haven't actually seen an argument that they are, I've just been told that if a Catholic goes and reads the catechism and studies church teaching they will realise this, but people have done that and they completely disagree with the conclusion you have come to.

I keep getting told that it is obvious that current teachings contradict pre-VII teachings and if I can't see that I must be stupid or deliberately misunderstanding.  There are a lot of people on this forum, including you, who refuse to acknowledge that a knowledgeable, intellectually honest person of good will could come to a conclusion that disagrees with their own.  This attitude is not reserved to one side or the other of the debates we have here.

And?

I'm still waiting for some cogent arguments from such people, cause the whole authority red herein is getting kind of old.

Well that illustrates my point.  You dismiss everything that is said in disagreement with you as an "authority red herring".

Not really, read what I wrote. Not everything I get is an authority red herring, though I've not yet heard many cogent arguments, I will admit there have been one or two though after enough poking they tend to collapse into absurdity or serious logical problems, but certainly the authority argument is the most popular one I have encountered on here.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Benedict: Take Joy in the Good of our Separated Brethren - by TrentCath - 10-22-2012, 03:06 PM